Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Dunwoody Nature Center's spring plants

Iris GW
15 years ago

Dunwoody Nature Center has announced it's spring plant sale. Despite the name, "Eye Popping Natives", the first one listed is not native (Callicarpa dichomata - Callicarpa dichotoma is from Asia. Geranium 'Rozanne' is not native either, but it is the 2008 Perennial Plant of the Year (and it's sterile). I know a lot of people really recommend it.

Regardless, there are many, many great natives on their list that you can order. I plan to at least get a Rhus typhina 'Tiger Eye' .... At the fall sale I got a couple of Chokeberries and they are already putting out leaves now. Good plants!

The spring list includes 13 shrubs, 9 flowering perennials and 3 ferns (Thelypteris kunthii is a great fern for part sun).

Here is a link that might be useful: Their website

Comments (8)

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip!
    Don't see anything that I can't live without this year. Have already been on too many shopping sojourns this winter and have lots of shrubs and other perennials to nurture through our typically dry summers. I'm sure that the USACE will continue to drain Lanier & Allatoona into the next millennium and we all will be on short water rations during that time.

• laylaa
    15 years ago

okay help me out here...Sambucus nigra, we had this talk before around here photos and all. I wrote it down as one to look at...so I am looking... is that Sambucus nigra in the photo on their site correct? The larger photo of the same plant is Viburnum prunifoliumum. Does a "nigra" come in green? That would confuse me a tad. Does it change color or is it the totally wrong photo?

I do want Sweetshrub, Summersweet and the Fothergilla. I have a barren yard, need everything! Happily the previous owners did not landscape so there's not a lot to get rid of but miles of nadina, but I have no shrubs at all, so thanks for the tip!

Georgia Perimeter College sent out a notice on their sales coming as well, I will need to dig that up (NOT a pun!! I SWEAR! I don't pun!) and post if it hasn't been mentioned already. I'm not sure what GPC tends to carry but hopefully natives.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Sambucus nigra has green foliage and the photo is the correct one for the species. The specific epithet; "nigra" (black) designates the color of the berries (black-ish).
    Several cultivars have purple/black-ish foliage; 'Black Lace', 'Black Beauty' ('Gerda'), 'Guincho Purple', 'Purpurea' etc.
    Some have yellow foliage; 'Sutherland Gold'. 'Madonna' has a mix of green & yellow foliage. 'Albovariegata' & 'Pulverulenta' have white spotted green foliage and 'Albomarginata' has a wide white margin on a green leaf.

While the cultivar name; 'Black Lace' is not listed along with the species name, they do list it (without single quotation marks), underneath the photo and the description lists dark foliage. Check the plant tag, if you pick one up, to be sure that is correct.

Cursory examination revealed two other incorrect photos;
    Calycanthus floridus 'Athens' has yellow flowers.
    Leucothoe axillaris 'Margie Jenkins' has mostly variegated foliage, A thin white margin on green leaves. Not shown or listed in the description.

This is a fund-raiser and these are volunteers, so give them a little slack!
    Good Luck!
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, GPC carries mostly natives and they have great plants. I buy something there every time that I go.

I didn't look at Dunwoody's photo links, but sounds like Rb thoroughly covered the subject!

• laylaa
    15 years ago

Thanks - I am reading black lace as the cultivar, hence the confusion on my part. Will do a bit of research and see if I can use it. They've done a great job. Now just to see if I can make the trip down there!

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a link to Georgia Perimeter College's page about their events and spring plant sales (March 21 and 28).

Be sure to check out their special events on April 5 and 19th.

Here is a link that might be useful: GPC

• georgia_transplant
    15 years ago

Esh-

I didn't see a link to a plant list for the GPC spring sales - do you know if there is a list available?

Thanks!

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GPC would not have a list because they keep plants all the time (propagating and ordering more as necessary). Dunwoody is ordering plants specifically for the sale.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!