Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frannyflowers

Spring Trade

frannyflowers
13 years ago

I know it's still early but this gorgeous weather has given me Spring Fever! Anyone else interested in a Spring trade this year?

Comments (58)

• vroomp
    13 years ago

I need to get rid of some more Mexican Petunias if anyone wants them. I too am out of town on the 7th of May. I will be here...............

{{gwi:804268}}

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I have pink and white guara, bee balm, and large red daylilies with a yellow eye, so far. Does anyone want to come to Adairsville, I would love to host, have to plan around my husband's traveling schedule. So let me know if anyone would come here, and I'll check w/him. Should someone start it in the exchange section.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

I have Salvia black and blue, Ajuga, Creeping Jenny, Verbena Bonariensis, Chrysanthemum Sheffield, some strawberry plants (not sure what kind), hosta, and few more - I need to walk around and see.
    Adairsville will work for me.
    ~Natalie

• botanicat
    13 years ago

Adairsville is fine for me.

• vnginger
    13 years ago

natailie, I'd be interested in your strawberries.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Vnginger,

I will pot some strawberries for you today.

~Natalie

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I'm in on the spring trade.

I feel like I've been away forever....(well, cause I have ;)

Garden Hag stopped by my house yesterday and it was just what I needed to get my rear end back here and thinking about what I'm going to do with my yard in the next few weeks.

Looking fwd to seeing you all at the trade.
    When is it?

Dora

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Hi Dora:
    I'm so glad to see you here! I do not think I can make the trade, but I would have things to offer people if they want to come and get in downtown Atl.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I have to check my hubby's travel schedule, he's out of the country right now, but I'll try to get an idea asap. I may make a quick trip to (fly) IL for Easter and I have block of a week or so from about May 9-18 I plan to be gone. I want to host, but some one else will need to keep track of the pre-arranged wants and trades. I am extra-cited!!!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

GGG, If it is a matter of transportation, I'd be glad to come pick you up - please let me know. We can ride together - more fun!

• vnginger
    13 years ago

Adairsville is 1 1/2hr from me. It's far. So I might have to pass unless it's closer in.

Natalie, do you live by GGG? I need lots of strawberries. So I'd like to see how I can get them. I'll email you my have list if we can arrange for a pickup.

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Adairsville is a pretty good haul for me, too. If it's done there, maybe I'll see some of y'all at the Native plant sales around!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Vnginger, I live in Roswell. There are few strawberry plants in my yard that I will be glad to share.

• frannyflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm ok with any location for the trade, whatever works for everyone.

Vroomp, I'd love some Mexican petunias. And gorgeous pic of your May destination. Where is that?

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I have some dates. April 9 ( maybe too early?), April 30, or May 14. I don't have to host, if there are too many people who can't come this far, or we could split up or have two. I started over in the Exchage section, so let's move over there.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

I am in Roswell, and I can host (and would love to do it!),if HOA agrees. They have been watching me closely lately, since I broke their rules and dared to deviate from a "cookie-cutter" idea of a perfect yard.
    It will probably be closer for some people, so as Organic_gardenhag suggested, we can have two trades to accommodate everyone.
    I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

~Natalie

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Geesh, Natalie! You have an amazing yard! HOAs are so frustrating!

• alpharetta
    13 years ago

I would like to attend the trade too. I will have Russian hardy Pomegranate cuttings and 1-2 fuzzy kiwi cuttings, you can try rooting them. I am looking for fig cuttings like Desert King or Excel, ect.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

It is partly a matter of transportation, and partly a health thing, partly simply timing. A lot of my Saturdays are often taken up working or at plant Sales at Holy C.
    If we settle on a date, I may know better. Thank-you Natalie for offering to take me, I hope we can pick a date soon, if it works for me, and I'm well, I'll take you up on the ride!

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I'll pick April 30 for hosting, I realize we do have a whole lot going on in May. I could maybe go to another in May, is anybody else compulsive enough to want to participate in two trades? I also want to get a small group together to make some hypertufa planters, and/or stepping stones, before it gets too hot. If we could get a couple of other hubby's to help with the heavy stuff, mine enjoys a project like that. Does anyone have an old Weber Kettle BBQ 22", I would pay for it. I've figured out that's the form I need for my large bowls.

• frannyflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Organic_gardenhag, April 30th is good for me. And yes, I'm compulsive enough to participate in 2 trades! My back is doing great so far this Spring and I've started the process of moving a garden and am dividing things and potting them up so I should have plenty to bring to two trades.

Natalie I'd love to see your "non-compliant" yard!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Organic_gardenhag,
    what time did you have in mind, since I was planning to attend
    Georgia Native Plant Society Plant Sale. It is from 10am till 2pm.

• frannyflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to add the native plant sale to my calendar, I was planning on attending that as well. If the swap is noonish there may be time to swing by the plant sale in the morning... ?

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I hope that if you go to the native plant sale that you will look for me there. I am usually in the trees and shrubs section.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Would May 14th in Roswell work for people who are not able to make it to Adairsville? I just got an OK from my HOA to host a "get-together for my friends".

And please remember the main trade - Organic_gardenhag's April 30th. She also wants to make hypertufa planters, which will be a lot of fun - I love those planters - very natural and great-looking.

So, you are welcome to come to both trades!

~Natalie

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

The Roswell trade could work very very well for me!

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

May 14th is possible for me.

I can't do April 30th, but it sounds like a lot of fun to combine a trade with a hypertufa planter party.

• frannyflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natalie, May 14th works for me too. Organic_gardenhag, I'm interested in making stepping stones and hypertufa planters too. Thanks to both of you for offering to host.

Esh, I will look for you at the Native Plant Sale.

Getting excited and ready for Spring...

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

I am very excited about spring! It is my favorite time of the year, and I look forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new people on the trade.

Hopefully you guys will help me to ID some of the plants - the grass cutters have outdone themselves by clearing my yard from all the debris, including plant tags, which were part of the debris in their opinion.

~Natalie

• vnginger
    13 years ago

Natalie,
    Thanks for your offer on the strawberries. I'd love to trade with you.
    May 14th, I am out of town. May 21st is best. But whatever works for everyone.

I can trade & pick up/drop off at your house too.

I am in at Roswell!
    Thanks!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Vnginger,
    if you are not available on May 14th and live nearby, e-mail me privately, and we can arrange for you to stop by and get some strawberries.

• garischa
    13 years ago

I am definitely interested. I am pretty sure I am available on April 30th, don't know yet about May 14th.

Need to check the yard to see what I have.
    Uli

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, I can't believe I did that, even telling my husband yesterday about both plant sales, Spring does make me crazy. I was planning on doing both plant sales also, April 8, and 30. Would May 7th, or one of the Sundays following the two sales work for anyone coming to Adairsville? I also have to think about conflicts w/our crazy yard project, will will be picking up speed when it ddries out enough so they can plant the big trees.

Esh- is there a list avalailable of the plants, so that I know if the plants I'm looking for are there for sale?

• pam_3
    13 years ago

I can probably do the May 14th Roswell date. Of course, this means I gotta get busy potting stuff up!

Esh, will you be going to the Chattahoochee Center Sale, too? I plan to go on April 9. Not sure I'll make the one in Marietta, yet.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Pam,
    you can have some ajuga from my yard - feel free to take as much as you need.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

OG - We don't publish a list but if you tell me what you're looking for then I can check for you.

pam - yes, I'll be at CNC on April 9; we're going to have an informational table there on the native plant society.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Esh, I'll see you on April 9th in CNC, and hope to see all the familiar faces I have met through G-Web.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

Esh- the plants I am am interested in are:
    Pin Oak
    Black Gum
    Dogwood
    Piedmont Azalea
    Sweetshrub
    Sweetspire
    Summersweet
    Beautyberry
    Bee Balm
    Liatris
    Wax Myrtle
    I will have to be careful, or I will bring them all home and have no place to put them. Once we get the main trees and shrubs in the new landscape, I am sure I can fill up the rest of it.
    We picked up some of the trees and shrubs, the rest come from the grower, and I am having some buyer's remorse. I was reading more about the Cherry Laurel, and found a discussion about it's invasive suckering and seedling growth I did not see this before. What do you know of it? I really liked it, but if the berries stain surfaces, next to a patio would be bad, and it's still not worth it if I also have seedlings everywhere, I got rid of Maples for that reason. I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Lorinda

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

We will not have Pin Oak but will have other Oaks, including Shumard (which is a good substitute for Pin, I think, and a fast grower). On Dogwood, we will not have Cornus florida (too available in nurseries) but will have Cornus alternifolia and Cornus amomum. Wax myrtle will be small - only one gallon size, I think (as are many of these other things although I know we have some oak and black gum in 3 gal).

Bee balm and Liatris, not sure at this time. A lot of those things are donated and we don't know until the day before.

Yes, cherries in general (which Carolina cherry laurel is, not a laurel) can be weedy and also should not be planted near surfaces to avoid the "mess". But they are a hugely important wildlife plant, not just for the berries but for the many, many insects that they host (and the birds eat the insects and also feed them to their babies). So if you have a place that you can tuck a native cherry where it won't bother you, that's a good thing.

• lucyatlanta
    13 years ago

I was excited to check-in and see that a trade or trades are planned. More than likely I can be at the one in Roswell and maybe Adairsville too. Will start checking to see what I have to bring, Look forward to seeing everyone . --Lucy

• vroomp
    13 years ago

Still trying to figure out which trade I can make with my schedule. Have to look around and see what else I have for trade, so many things are still coming up.
    The picture I posted is the lagoon at Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico on the southern most tip of western PR. This is the Caribbean side of the ocean where the water is always clear and warm. We'll be looking for building lots on this trip or a nice foreclosure with a view, hopefully.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I really want to go to the sale and overlooked that when I chose April 30 for the trade. I know I can't do both. Coul I ask someone else to get a few specific plants for me?
    esh- any idea how big the #3 black gum trees are?

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Organic gardenhag, are you going to both trades or just the one at your house? I thought I'd bring you some more Crocosmia. I can hand it off to someone attending both, if you're just going to be at the Adairsville trade. let me know!

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Lorinda - those 3 gal blackgum trees are right at 5 feet tall.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

Pam, I'd really love more crocosmia, as many as you want to give me, do you want something in trade? We are planning to go to the Chatahoochee sale tomorrow, just to get our feet wet, haha, it is suppoosed to rain. If you are going, or live nearby, let me know, or yes you can send it on with someone, or like I said, I'll come get it. Thanks, this whole yard project is eating my lunc, it is supposed to be fun.

• pam_3
    13 years ago

What time do you think you'll be there? I haven't potted anything up. But I would be more than happy to bring you some. may have to be in a bag. I hope that's ok. Shoot me a message on my the "My Page" thing on here, and we can hammer out some details.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

Pam- I am not sure I sent my message right, We will be there around 10, I will look for everyone I met at last years trade, I sent my phone #s to your e-mail address.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

This thread is being moved to "Exchanges". Let's continue there.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I need an idea who (how many) is still planning to come to Adairsville on April 30. I don't have a plan for the potluck lunch yet, but I can get it together if I know for sure. I posted my other thoughts at the nga Spring trade thread I started. Go there and I will send directions.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Please check the EXCHANGES page for the latest information on Roswell Trade. Have your e-mail address available on your GW member's page if you wish to receive directions for May 14th event.
    Thank you.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!