Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea advice

Posted by gmom74 z7 Ga (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 17:34

I have an Exbury azalea- Gibralter. Due to illness for the last 4 years and also drought, I have been unable to take care of it like I used to.Much of it has died but there are flower buds on a few limbs. After it blooms, would it be possible to prune the branches that are still living and possibly the dead limbs off to make it come back? Do you think it would put out new growth from the roots? Also, I need to kill liriope that has spread underneath it. I guess the best way to do that is to use Round-up very carefully. Any advise is welcome- thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea advice

I wouldn't use RU that close to a sickly bush you are trying to save. Yes, after it blooms you should remove any dead wood and prune the living ones. Then you should water only. I wouldn't fertilize until next year. Perhaps you could add some organic material such as compost and mulch. That would encourage new growth from the base.

As far as the liarope, Just try to pull up what you can. It should be easier after this week since we are getting a lot of rain.

o

I agree with buford on all counts.

o

Thanks for your replies. There's no way I can pull up the liriope even with the soil being so wet- and I'm afraid that digging it will damage the roots of the azalea. I will prune the bush after it blooms and hope for the best. I'll post a picture if I can rejuvenate it. It's a gorgeous shrub when it blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here