Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle prunings

Posted by ukga z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 06 at 17:42

If you prune back your crape myrtle (sp?), save the long straight branches..they make wonderful stakes which will last at least 2 years. Also, the thin branches make neat trellises for pot plants and wigwammy things also for training small ivy on. Be sure to make these while the wood is still green, after they dry you cannot drive a nail in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle prunings

You spelled Crape myrtle exactly right! It isn't crepe, as so many try to insist. ;-)

With all of those useful pruned branches, are you topping your trees or thinning them? Just curious.

o

I can also attest that crape myrtle wood makes great firewood. Years ago at a time in my life I don't really like to remember too clearly, I had to chop up a lot of my own wood for heating and cooking in a Mama Bear woodstove. I was pregnant at the time and also had a 2-year-old, so I was a little limited in my mobility. I found that dead crape myrtle branches - and there always seem to be some in large overgrown crape myrtle trees - especially multi-trunked ones - are relatively easy to chop or saw up, burn well, and are light enough to carry but worth burning. They burn more like hardwood than softwood.

o

BTW, Clark Howard has pictures of the proper and improper ways of pruning Crape Myrtle trees on his web site.

o

Clark Howard?? Are you sure that you didn't mean Walter Reeves?

Here is a link that might be useful: Walter Reeves C.M. Pruning

o

Maybe it's the cheaper way to do it?

o

Clark Howard?

Sometimes even I can't figure out what I'm saying!

o

"the cheaper way"~~too funny!!

o

I was very happy to find a good use for prunings from our crape myrtles. I used them in February to mark newly planted rows in our garden and for staking some plants. Now I have baby crape myrtles growing from the base of the stakes. I just know that if I had TRIED to root them using this "method", it wouldn't have worked.

They do make good stakes. If only I could get them to remember I want them to be stakes, not new trees. Mother Nature is amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here