Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

any interest in giant pummpkins in ga?

mensplace
14 years ago

I have scanned the net and not found any kind of a group in GA that is interested in Giant Pumpkin growing or any real competition on a county or state basis other than a few 4H groups for the kids. The state of GA record that I found is almost 1000 pounds less than that of Ohio. Are there any out there who are aware of such a group or who would have an interest in starting one. Preparations should begin NOW for establishing a growing plot ...with the necessary soil tillage, testing, liming, fertilizing, adding compost, or any other magic ingredients. Personally, I would just love to do this to see how Georgia measures up and maybe organize a statewide competition. If we could generate some interest, it would be a great thing to seek sponsorship and underwriting by the MANY ag firms and association as a way to raise some money for the children's hospitals such as Scottish Rites...such as Grow a Punkin for a Youngun..or something similar! It could be fun.

Comments (7)

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I'm just responding since no one else has. I'm surprised about that too!!!!! I have always thought it would be really fun to grow a giant pumpkin! Unfortunately, I don't have the right growing conditions in my yard. And I have way too many bugs that love squash of all kinds.

Maybe as the weather starts to straighten up, people will get in a pumpkin sort of mood! Good luck!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I grew them this year. Two at 30lbs each however, only one was very tasty. The other two were not very good for cooking. I decided I'm going to pass on pumpkins and just grow winter squashes that have more of the flavor I'm looking for.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Just remember that the Georgia record is 1252 lbs by Jason Gagne of Mineral Bluff. You have your work cut out for you. World record is 1725 lbs.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Farmerdilla,
    I have obtained a few seeds from the kind folks in the Ohio Valley organization where the world record holder came from last year, and of the same genetics. Must folks pay thirty dollars on up for these, but I was looking to find a few Georgians who would have a serious interest in putting forth the effort to prepare the soil and space just to see how we can compare in 2010. You are absolutely right, this would take some effort, so these are reserved for those who would each like ONE seed for free just to see how we could do. IF there are any proceeds of any kind (as in contests), I would love to see those somehow go to one of the childrens hospitals or such. These seeds do have the potential to produce one of those same mammoths won in Ohio as they come from the same genetics as the new world record holder.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Thanks Farmerdilla, and here in this neighborhood everyone had their eye on my 30lb pumpkins and remarked their size. ;)
    Questions then: Do you know Mens Place how they grew their huge pumpkins? Where they grown organically or with chemical fertilizers? I ask, because I should think this might make a huge difference in obtaining size.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This may help: http://www.ovgpg.com/

I have scanned the net to research the methods of the champion growers (many good books are also available) and it seems the one universal is advance soil preparation in terms of adequate space for the initial plant, deep soil preparation, checking the PH, plenty of compost (not just manure, prevention of insects and fungus, frequent watering (as in constant), and the provision of the right nutrients including the trace elements. Old myths, like milk straws to the stems, are NOT used, mostly just plenty of advance soil prep in the main growing area and along the line where the stems will send down roots. Some even bury the stems. Shade fabric prevents many problems. My take on the whole process is that the real key is providing the right growing conditions and starting well in advance of the growing season to assure drainage, humus, life in the soil, and encourage deep roots..then constant care, feeding, and protection.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Offer closed due to lack of interest. Seeds ditributed on another forum

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting