Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spigi

Has anyone tried cooking with Onion Grass?

spigi
16 years ago

The subject says it all really. I have tons of this stuff growing in the uncultivated part of my yard. I pulled someone of it up yesterday and it smelled pretty good. I'm guessing you could probably use it as a substitute for chives, which I've never been able to grow successfully.

Spigi

Comments (6)

• herboil
    16 years ago

Spigi,

I would really like the advice from the expert species identifiers.

I've heard eating the wild "chives" can cause some serious splatter on the platter if you get it.. pooo!

Ok enough giggles.
    Here is the down low on what I know.

These so called WILD CHIVES or onions grow in as many as 10+ botanical varieties and are for the most part not used culinary. They are all over the lawns right now, especially the ones not using herbicides.

I've eaten these " wild foods" in one or two bites of the juice and fiber in an oak wooded forest and did not get the "sheets" but this is not proof.

Does anyone know what these things are?
    They look like chives for the most part.
    Are you talking about the CHIVE looking things or the thick leaf ONION looking things. Caused you might be confused. But I am not.

Georgians, weigh in please!
    I want a full report.

You've motivated me to do some hardcore research now..
    For now be safe and don't eat any until you get EXACT botanical answers.
    HerbSun

• trudyjean82
    16 years ago

Maybe this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Onion and Wild Garlic:

• spigi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I guess you can eat them. I was going to use them in the same way I would use chives. If I suffer any untoward GI side effects I'll be sure to report back.

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

I used to use them, among other things, when I taught groups about wild edibles. You can use them as chives chopped and sprinkled on salad, in eggs(perfect on a camping trip), or on devilled eggs if you like but I normally chose to use them in soups and stews. They add a great flavor HOWEVER sometimes they are tougher and stringier than what you buy commercially. I tied up a bundle of them whole, tossed the whole shebang in the pot then fished it out before serving. Just personal preference!

***As always: MAKE SURE YOU ID CORRECTLY!!!*** Just be sure what you are about to eat has the right smell. If it does not smell of onion/garlic... it aint.

• bubbalove
    16 years ago

Don't eat from where the pets do their "business" (true of anything).
    I'll pick one occasionally while in the yard to chew on. I've used them when camping, cooking fish in foil. A friend put them in with pickled eggds.

• spigi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well one of my cats comes in to "do his business". I'm pretty sure the other goes off into the woods. I haven't had a chance to cook with any onion grass yet but I do have some radish starting to show some shoots in the vegetable plot.

Sponsored