Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakeas

Had Master Plan done - Need trees now!

blakeas
12 years ago

I need the following - where do I get them? I live in decatur, ga. Just wanted to know the inexpensive places - thanks!

"Rising Sun" Eastern Red Bud - 7to8 ft tall

"Green Shadow" Sweetbay magnolia 8 to 9ft tall

"padicans" crytomeria - 8 to 9ft tall

"Aufantiacus" Fragrant tea olive - 6 ft tall

Candian hemlock - 10 to 12 ft height

Nature florida Azalea "orange" 4to 5ft in height

Earthshield winterthur vibournom 5 ft tall

Comments (10)

• karyl7b
    12 years ago

whelp, I know that Kinsey family farm plant nursery has most of those but they are up in Gainseville off 400. Do not know if that is too far but the rising sun may be difficult to find. I also don't know the heights of what they have...but many of their trees are b&b. I really only notice natives but can help you out on some. Of your list:

"Rising Sun" Eastern Red Bud - yes and they are stunnnnnning. :)

"Green Shadow" Sweetbay magnolia - they have large sweetbay but no idea what cultivar or if spp

"padicans" crytomeria - you mean 'radicans'? Yes. No idea on sizes.

"Aufantiacus" Fragrant tea olive - they have tea olive but no idea what cultivar or size.

Canadian hemlock - yes. Looked at these for myself so positive. Very nice specimens. They have larger sized b&b.

Earthshield winterthur viburnum - They have 'winterhur' & 'brandywine' (a find!!). In containers so doubt that tall as it's almost mature height for 'brandywine' and 1/2 for 'winterhur'.

I do not know about the azalea. Hope it helps though. Happy gardening!

• blakeas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How are their prices? So I am guessing I shouldnt use the TyTy nursery?

• karyl7b
    12 years ago

tyty should not even be considered. Do a search for them on gardenweb - very bad rep. I think they have a duplicate site under another name but am not sure what the name is...there are lots of posts on them though. Check reviews of any nurseries, there are several good ones. Plus there are spring plant sales coming up!!! I know Kinsey's b/c it is in my area and I like their prices (very good), they carry some nice natives plus they have very healthy plants. I'm not familiar with nurseries further south, perhaps someone else here can help.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

That's Auranticus Tea Olive, or Orange. In Atlanta GardenHood sells it. The orange native azaleas are available in Loganville at Growers Outlet. The Redbud will also be at Gardenhood.
    You are looking at large plants, and shrubs and trees take time to grow - the prices will be a bit expensive and you may not have a choice in the size you are able to obtain. The tea olive that is already 6' tall will probably be close to $100, perhaps more.

• caeebe
    12 years ago

Growers outlet is probably the cheapest but their plant sizes often seem little to me. They are also a hike from Decatur. I also live in Decatur. I would probably price compare the local places. Pikes, Home Depot, and Lowes and go from there(I think Gardenhood is extremely expensive but they probably have better choice of varieties)

• sharon_zone7
    12 years ago

You might call Dorough Landscaping. They also have a nursery.

Dorough Landscape Company
    5444 Lawrenceville Hwy.
    Lilburn, Georgia 30047
    (Across From Walgreen's)

Phone: (770) 921-6485
    Fax: (770) 921-6403
    Email: doroughlandscape@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorough

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

TyTy has a powerful reputation as being the WORST nursery in the industry. Check ANY forum. They are pure awful.

• woody_ga
    12 years ago

What about Buck Jone's?

• blakeas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

can anyone suggest alternatives to the trees I mentioned above?

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I posted a response on Trees (I saw that first). Consider different sizes and cultivar names. Also consider the native plant society's sale on April 14th in Marietta for the last two.

Here is a link that might be useful: gnps sale

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH