Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Own Root Roses?

butterflylion
12 years ago

Does anyone grow own root roses? I was wondering how they do in the metro Atlanta area. I was thinking about rooting some cuttings from a Peace rose and was wondering about when to do it, what the steps are, etc.?

Comments (8)

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

I have used this method during the summer.

http://members.fortunecity.com/cnetter/rose_tour/rose_cut.html
    Transferred to pots and then into the ground the next spring with TLC that summer. I have used the scrape/root hormone/brick method on some of the very hardy bushes.

• vietzero
    12 years ago

The best, cheapest, and easy way to root a roses is... wait until fall. Cut a stem from the rose and put it in a pot with potting soil. Leave it in the shade until spring. I got hundreds of roses this way. Every time I follow the online step.. it never work!! took me a year to figure that I don't need those rooting hormone.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I've got roses rooting that I started in January this year. I started them late because they were still blooming until Christmas!

• mairenn
    12 years ago

own root roses do well here for me, about an hour east of you, but I don't grow HT's. I'm strictly a low maintenance kind of gal. I grow Lady Banks, Old Blush, Fairy, Knockout and Cherokee by dint of cutting off dead bits and bits that are in my way, and otherwise doing nothing for them at all:) I also have a Joseph's coat, but it isn't own root and it doesn't do as well.

Lady Banks is extremely easy to root in dirt or water.

• tony31036
    12 years ago

I live about 2 hours south of Atlanta and have been learning how to root roses for about 3 years. I have nearly 100 different cultivars, primarily hybrid teas and floribundas (including Peace). I currently have about 100 roses in the ground (mostly own root from 2-3 years ago) and another 100 or so in 1-gallon pots that I rooted last summer/this winter. I rooted Peace a couple of years ago, and it is growing a bit slower than some of the others that I rooted at the same time. I have since learned (from other postings) that Peace doesn't appreciate a hard pruning (which I have done), so that may account for the slow growth. I have also learned that some own roots tend to grow slower than others. I rooted the Peace in sand, under mist. I have used a pine bark/perlite/peat moss medium with mist, perlite only under mist, and have just built a cloning machine to try. Looks like a couple of the cuttings that I put in the cloner as an initial test are going to root. Best advice: Whatever method you decide to try, you will probably keep the cuttings too wet, so don't over do it. If you think you have a prefered method, let me know and I'll provide specifics as far as what I have learned.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    12 years ago

mairenn,
    Do you use old wood for the Lady Banks? I don't understand what own root means, fell dumb. I have never rooted roses, just divided some rugosas. And propogated just about anything else.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

"Own root" means that they were not grafted onto a root stock. Old garden roses are usually not grafted (as an example) such as Lady Banks. I have only one grafted rose. You just need to be sure that grafted roses have the graft exposed, just like a grafted tree.

• buford
    12 years ago

I have plenty of own root roses. I bought them, I did not grow them from cuttings. They do very well, although it's true that own root roses don't grow as fast as grafted ones at first.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH