Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_savannah

First Blooms 2010 - Spring is coming!

love_savannah
14 years ago

This has been a strange and cold winter. Aren't we all counting the days until spring arrives? I get so excited when I see my first blooms of a new year. Many of our Camellia blooms were damaged before they opened; however, I found a few beauties out there. This morning I discovered our first Daffodil blooms. I knew then, that winter's days are numbered. My hands are ready to touch some soil. YES!

I hope these photos brighten your winter days a little. What's blooming in your neighborhood?

{{gwi:804579}}

{{gwi:804580}}

If anybody knows the name of this Camellia, I hope you will enlighten me.

{{gwi:804581}}

Bon

Comments (13)

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Bon I live in Glennville and there are huge Camellia bushes (trees lol) that bloomed here through the colds snow. I'll see if I can find out the name.
    My Daffodils are just now breaking ground and I have small buds on my Lantana.
    I am waiting but I think I lost many plants.

• vicki7
    14 years ago

Your daffodils and camellias are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I have some bulbs sprouting, but none are blooming yet. I do have a huge potted daphne odora that is just covered in buds and I can't wait till they open. They smell heavenly. I really need to figure out how to post pics.
    Vicki

• vroomp
    14 years ago

This may help you Vicki.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Post Pictures

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Zon 9 is probably couple of weeks ahead of us here in Atlanta area(z8). My daffodils, hyacinths are less the 2" now.camellias are rather winter bloomers here. But this year their flowers were zapped.
    When my daffodils bloom in my garden, then I will know that spring has arrived.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

The daffodils are up, but not blooming in Marietta.

I have a sweet little patch of purple crocus up, though!

I'm MORE than ready to get out and get dirty. This will be the weekend to do it!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

My heirloom daffs will bloom tomorrow in some areas of the garden. I have tommy crocuses blooming for the last several weeks and a camellia has been blooming that did not get frost, but for some reason it blooms towards the house and not away from the house (and it's shadier against the house) so I never see it! It has HUGE pale pink flowers with dark reddish pink stripes! The phlox have been blooming and are looking great with the yellow pansies, which are also finally able to show some color.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Spring is just around the corner, I feel it.
    Yesterday and today was gorgeous. I cheched some of the seeds I have sowed, they are germinating. Bok choys in my cold frame have germinated too. My taragons under oak leaves are moving. Tomorrow I will plant my potatoes. Also I will sow some wild flower seeds here, there and in flats.It will be a while though for warm weather crops. You never know. We have had very persisting cold winter and might have warmer spring.

• love_savannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rosajoe, I'd love to have a name for our Camellia. There are still a lot of buds on the shrub/tree that have not opened.

Also, thanks to you, I went out and uncovered some leaves around my lantana plants and was happy to see a lot of tiny, new growth. I'm afraid that we've lost a lot of our plants too.

Vicki, I hope you can post a picture soon of your Daphne Odora. I'm not familiar with those.

Girlgroupgirl, is it normal for the daffodils to bloom at different times? I was hoping to have a big patch of yellow. This is the second year in the ground for our daffs and I'm hoping for more blooms than last year. Anyway, their little yellow faces (here and there) were a welcomed sign of spring. My phlox hasn't bloomed at all.

Bagsmom, I'm with you, can't wait to get out and get dirty. I've been trying my hands at starting some seeds inside for the first time. So far, that's not working for me.

Cyrus_gardner, I've been out for the past few days and it was wonderful! Bok choys...love it...have you grown that before? Too bad the nice weather left us. I hear thunder in the distance.

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone. It's nice to get excited about what's blooming in your Georgia neighbors' yards as well.

Bon

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

love_savanah,

This is first time I am growing Bok Choys but I have grown Swiss Chards before. There are similarities.

It is amazing how these tiny pepper grasses are flowering already. So are couple of other weeds.I sowed some garden cress. They should come up soon. They are related to pepper grass. My radishes are germinating too. The rain yesterday came at the right time and right amount to make seeds grow. Another 3 more weeks or so, most everything should start moving here. We need to get out of 30s-F lows for the ground to warm up. Then I will transplant some of my tomatoes. Right now I have lettuce growing in my tomatoes bed.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Speaking of Spring being around the corner, I have noticed some non-botanical signs.

Have any of you noticed how LOUD the birds are in the morning? Singing beautifully just before daybreak.

Also, the hawks have been "frisky."

I know we have more winter left, but the signs for Spring are certainly here!

:)

• love_savannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cyrus_gardner, can't wait to hear how the Bok Choys turn out. Keep us posted! It sounds like you have room for a nice garden. You're lucky, my available space is too shaded. Anyway, I'm glad your seeds were watered at the right time and things are popping up. Can you believe it's supposed to dip below freezing again by the end of the week. I HOPE THEY"RE WRONG!!!

Bagsmom, I usually have my coffee outside in the morning and those birds have been serenading me big time. Their music puts me in an upbeat mood for the new day.

Speaking of hawks, my cousin, Laura, took the picture below with her cell phone camera this summer in middle Georgia. Her dad caught a squirrel in a cage and the hawk wanted it for breakfast. That hawk stayed there for over an hour trying to figure out how to get, what he thought, was an easy meal. Those hawks are something else!

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Why doesn't that hawk come to my yard???? We have a whole squirrel family -- 3 little ones a couple of years ago are now grown and have friends and family of their own. After trying everything I could possibly to do keep them out of my tomatoes, I considered buying a fake hawk to set out.

I abandoned that idea after seeing a big red tail and a squirrel sharing the same branch on our oak tree. I was in the house, yelling "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? THAT'S FOOOOOOOD! EAT IT!"

I'm sure the great squirrel invasion will pick up again this summer.

Right now, they are using my virgin Mary statue as a launch pad. They sit on her head and push off, leaping up to the birdfeeder. My Mom said "isn't that a little disrespectful?" Sooooo funny!

• love_savannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know exactly how you feel, bagsmom. We've tried everything to keep the squirrels out of our birdfeeder. Thus far, nothing has worked. I've watched them dive from 6 feet up, hit the bird feeder, (POW!) hit the ground and then start munching on the bird seeds that fell out onto the ground. Last year I had a big patch of sunflowers coming up under the feeder. They sure make a mess.

Bagsmom...My Mom said, (Isn't that a little disrespectful?) Sooooo funny!

That really is too funny! Sounds like something my mom would say.

Bon

Sponsored