Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

Finding Fig Trees Locally

ourhappyhome
16 years ago

I'm hoping to find fig trees locally though I can't remember ever seeing them at Pikes, Home Depot, etc. Anyone buy a fig tree locally? Which varieties have you seen in stores and where? I have a number of online sources, but I'd like to purchase a tree that I can see and examine first. I'm just outside Atlanta but would be willing to drive anywhere in the metro area. Thank You!

April

Comments (17)

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

I have never seen anything but brown turkey offered. There are several other kinds of figs that grow here fine.
    Italian Honey fig, petite nigrone, celeste, (which is hard to find period, and sort of like a dwarf brown turkey)...and more. I have some sort of a honey fig right in my own garden (from a Garden Web trade a few years ago), and will plant brown turkey this year.

Below is a link of interest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Faces: article on Figs

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I'll have a bunch of rooted cuttings from my trees in a couple of months. If you haven't found any trees, by then, lemme know and I'd be happy to send/trade some with you. I've got a few varieties.

Also, a good Georgia source is Willis Orchards. They have good prices, excellent shipping, and have several different varieties. I ordered two from them this autumn and was very pleased. I think they're in Moultrie, but that'll be a drive for you.

Stacy

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks you guys. GGG, great link.

Stacey, what variety are you rooting? Also, how large were the trees you purchased from Willis? I've been contemplating a 3gallon fig but wanted to be sure it was the size stated and actually fruiting the first year. I'm looking for LSU Gold and LSU purple. Thanks

• blazepepper
    16 years ago

I was at home depot and lowes this past week and both have small fig plants for sale along with all sorts of berry and grape plants. Dont know if this is what you are looking for but just thought I'd mention it, it may be worth a looksy

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

I have honey figs, turkey figs and black mission figs and they all do fantastic here in Gainesville. I also offer the possibility of a cutting or few if you cannot find what you are looking for!

• shot
    16 years ago

April, I just returned home from Dublin (GA) with a 3 gal. brown turkey fig tree about 6 feet tall. This is the type that my sister has in her yard and my wife loves them, so instead of roses for Valentines Day.... I purchased it at a local nursery for $20 including tax.

HIIII GGG!!!!!!!

Shot

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks All! Thanks especially for the offer of cuttings. Great to know trees are starting to show up in stores. Blazepepper, I called and it seems your stores are about 2 weeks ahead of ours. Shot, where in Dublin?

I really do appreciate the help folks.

• shot
    16 years ago

April, Graham Landscape Products. Actually East Dublin - when you cross the Oconee River into East Dublin, it is the first place on the left. I am going back tomorrow to pick up some thornless blackberry bushes... they would have to come in AFTER I got back home. Blackberry jelly is me fav and hot blackberry cobbler (no seeds) with a BIG scoop of Bryers Vanilla ice cream.... yum yum...

See what GardenWeb has done to me..... When the doctor asks how I got in this shape (round is a shape) I am going to blame it on YOU GUYS!

Shot

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I've currently got scads of brown turkey. Hopefully, I'll have some celeste, Peter's honey, and petite negronne by the end of the summer.

The ones from Willis are definitely what I'd consider fruiting size (I either got the 3 or 5 gallon). Mine haven't broken dormancy yet, but I expect fruit, for sure.

Stacy

• herboil
    16 years ago

Yeah

but how about last years late frost... it seems evereyone is forgetting that the blueberry and fig market in georegia got squishhed!

seems there is a fig fever as everyone wants some and they were really limited this year( except shipped in from down south(lame)

The best bet is to buy some 3 to five gallon figs, or get some WELL ESTABLISHED cuttings and wait out the 2-3 years it will take to produce.

This ain't rocket science folks... either way it takes a small investment of CASH, plus the time and care, and love it takes. IF you don't have the love, FO_GHET_ABOUT_IT
    ! bow chicka bow wow
    @ !

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

Every year I see Celeste and Brown Turkey figs at all the HD and Lowes stores in the metro area. These two are easy to find.

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, what happened to the message I posted last night? Hmmm

Anyway, it was all about blackberries and cobbler and other favorite yummies. Oh well.

I checked my local Lowes and HD. It seems we are about 2 weeks later than Auburn stores. They told me to check back but I don't want to wait too long as I'm sure they will have a limited supply.

Herboil, fig fever is an understatement. I've recently relocated from Maryland but I grew up in the south where figs, berries and pecans were regular treats. In Maryland I could always find them in the stores, but prices were outrageous and quality was just fair. I ate my first homegrown (grown by me) fig last summer and I've been hooked ever since. I actually have fig cuttings growing in my living room right now. I have multiple cuttings, a small brown turkey/celeste (not sure which) and a small Violette de bordeaux which was AWESOME! The birds left me just 2 or 3 to try last season and I can hardly wait for them this year. My neighbors have 3 huge trees but they don't eat figs. They grow them for the birds and deer. This year, I hope to get a share of those as I wait for my little trees to mature or until I can find a large tree of my own. I'll post here after my purchase. Thanks for the tips folks!

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

The Buck Jones Nursery (locations in Woodstock and Grayson) usually stocks fruit trees, vines and shrubs in the spring when it is time to plant them. I'd call ahead to check on stock first. I got paw paws there a couple of years ago and they had apple, pear, plum, grapes ... can't remember about figs.

The one is Woodstock is quite close to Alpharetta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Jones

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip esh.

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Any sign of fig trees yet? My local Lowes still has nothing. Home Depot ditto. What's taking them so long? What about your local store?

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Lowes in Sandy Springs has figs, blackberries, raspberries and other fruits.

GGG

• jmzms
    16 years ago

Saw them at Lowe's in Alpharetta yesterday.
    ~Michelle

Sponsored