Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Stump Removal in Athens

Posted by spigi 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 20:38

I've decided that this spring I'm going to plant a few fruit trees in my yard. I haven't quite decided what yet, but probably a couple of apple trees and a couple of plum trees. Recommendations are welcome.

However, before I can do this I need to remove a few "wild" trees. Any ideas about how best to go about this? I had thought about hiring a backhoe and digging them out myself. I'm sure there are companies around that would do it for me but I'm not sure who to call and what is a reasonable price. Again, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Stump Removal in Athens

Stumps under 8 inch caliper may be dug out using a small trackhoe. These usually rent for about $150 a day. Make sure you face the stump with the spade facing it and lower the spade blade to support the machine as you apply digging force. It is easy to topple one of these smaller machines when prying sideways or at an angle to the spade. Start about two feet from the trunk and excavate a small trench around stubborn stumps, like Sweetgums, before attempting a lift. By lowering the bucket until it is supported by the ground "rolling" the bucket applies the greatest pressure to pry the stump upwards and reduces the potential for toppling the machine over. A slightly larger trackhoe will run $200-$250 and will have a greater lifting power. Make sure you have no utilities in the area before you start any digging!

In Georgia the dig request line phone number is 1-800-282-7411 for free utilities location and marking. This usually takes a couple of days to get done after the request is made.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here