Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Where to find Hepatica plants

frankielynnsie
14 years ago

Does anyone know where to find the blue flowering Hepatica plants? I remember picking them as a child in Tennessee and would like to plant some in my woodland area.

Comments (11)

• pam_3
    14 years ago

I've seen it at Thyme after Thyme in Winterville, GA (which is right next to Athens.) Great nursery. Nice selection and great people. I think I've seen it at Randy's Perennials in Lawrenceville, but I'm not certain. Good luck! It's a great little plant. Esh will probably chime in on this one.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I have not seen it for sale actually (but haven't looked either). You might try asking at the Georgia Perimeter College's Botanical Garden. Ladyslipper Rare Plant Nursery might be another place to ask (Woodstock).

The Georgia Native Plant Society's sale will be April 24 - it is possible there will be some there from member donations. We occasionally find it on rescues but I haven't seen it in a while. I find it grows best at the base of large trees where it gets good drainage and there is not so much leaf litter to cover it up.

There are two kinds: the sharp lobed Hepatica (Hepatica nobilis var. acuta) and the round lobed Hepatica (Hepatica nobilis var. obtusa). It is the round lobed one that I find around here. Should be blooming now.

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS plant sale April 24

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Several online nurseries offer the blue one's for sale. Some are rather pricey, but odysseybulbs has them for what appears to be a reasonable price.
    Another local source might be from Don Jacobs/Eco Gardens (Decatur). (ecogardens@bellsouth.net)

The round-lobed species, now Anemone americana*, is native in the Metro area and I have found it on rescues in N. Fulton (John's Creek) and S. Gwinnett (Centerville) areas.
    At both locations they were confined to a small area, either on a sandy or rocky slope in deciduous woodlands.
    As esh mentioned, they prefer a location near the trunk of large deciduous trees, sans a sandy or rocky slope.

The sharp-lobed species, Anemone acutiloba*, found only in the mountainous areas of GA and northward, is a better garden plant in this area, as it can tolerate a wider range of soil & light conditions. I have some that have been in my garden for 15 years or more, but alas, no blue one's!

* -Ref.-Flora of North America, Vol. 3 (Ranunculaceae)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I didn't realize the name had changed. USDA still has it as Hepatica and lists Anemone as a synonym.

I have also heard that the sharp lobed one is the better garden plant.

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

esh_
    I was also surprised to find that the Genus Hepatica had been extirpated from Earth!

Excerpt:
    "The phylogenies based on chloroplast DNA restriction sites and the combined data sets indicate that Pulsatilla, Hepatica, and Knowltonia should be subsumed within Anemone"
    --Publication: Systematic Botany 19 (1): 169Â200 (1994)

The reduction of our 2 native species, from species to varietal status, 50 years ago, was never widely accepted by the Scientific community and I'm guessing that since this further elimination of the Genus Hepatica occurred 16 years ago, it also hasn't been well regarded.

Bottom line: Since the Genus name; Hepatica has been around for more than 250 years (1754) and is the Basionym for our 2 species, I don't think many people will be inclined to discard it!
    It wouldn't be the first time Taxonomists have been ignored!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Not sure how well USDA keeps up. For example, Myrica cerifera was changed to Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) and USDA has that new name as primary and the Myrica is a synonym. Nobody seems to like to use the new name!

So when is USDA right and when are they wrong? They have Anemone as a synonym so clearly they are aware of it. But they are still using Hepatica as primary - yet the name has been changed since 1994?

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA plants database

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the possible places to locate them. I will start hunting this weekend.

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

esh_
    USDA follows the Taxon listed in a compilation of species provided by the Biota of N. America Program, North of Mexico (BONAP).
    This is a project that was started in 1969 by John T. Kartesz & wife, Rosemarie, et al. at the UNC Botanical Garden Herbarium, Chapel Hill.
    It claims to now contain a checklist all 28,038 species, subspecies and varieties, including Synonyms, in the Kingdom Plantae found in the US, CAN & Greenland.
    Several years ago, they began collecting data from each state, which included the presence of species and county of occurrence. From that data, the USDA prepares state checklists and state and county maps of occurrence that are accessible at plantsUSDA.gov
    Anyone can provide updates to the USDA about the presence & location of species, subspecies & varieties. The report must include an accepted name, geographic location (easy today with hand-held devices) and must be verified by a recognized authority.

BTW, this is the website at plantsUSDA.gov that I use.
    Loads lots faster for us old (cheap & not in a hurry) fogies, still on dialup!

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANTS DatabaseIUSDA PLANTS

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Oops!
    Forgot to include this argument.
    The Flora of North America, a joint project between the Missouri Botanical Garden (MOBOT) (http://www.tropicos.org/)and Harvard Univ. (http://efloras.org/), does not necessarily follow the Taxon presented by BONAP/USDA.

The incomplete Families are "farmed" out to willing Universities/Colleges/Organizations for compilation of the necessary data that is to be included. Since many individuals are involved, it is only natural that preferential Taxon will be included. If their argument holds sway with a reviewing panel, that's what is published.

The FNA is being published in 30 volumes (Oxford Press NA), about half (14) have been completed and released.
    The completed volumes are available online (by Family name).
    See link.
    Once published, it is "cast in stone". I've not heard of any supplemental updates being periodically provided.

frankielynn__
    Please accept my apology. I did not intend to hijack your post.
    Hope you are able to find the blue Hepatica you want.
    Don Jacobs is a longtime and dear friend and I phone him frequently. He is elderly and lives alone, so I have concerns about his well-being. On my next call, I will inquire about blue Hepaticas.
    I once grew several vivid colors, including blue, of Hepatica japonica, but they have all perished. They were a better potted plant, than a garden plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flora of North America/families

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

frankielynn__
    I spoke with Don Jacobs today and he doesn't have the blue Hepatica available, in either species.

If you emailed him, you probably haven't received a response, as he is off-line. Apparently a DSL problem.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks GeorgiaRose.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor