Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Looking for Edgeworthia chrysantha, Red Dragon

frankielynnsie
13 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find Edgeworthia chrysantha, Red Dragon in the Atlanta to northeast area of Georgia?

Comments (11)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

A cursory search didn't even turn up any reputable on-line nurseries with that particular cultivar, at the moment.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Try calling Gardenhood, they may need to call you back (and they are closed until next week) but someone there should be able to find it for you if it's available! (404) 880-9848

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I have looked online too but I don't want to spend a fortune for a stick. I will try Gardenhood.

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

If you end up finding and planting one of these, please keep us posted! I'd be interested to know how it works out for you. Years back, we tried a red-throated edgeworthia cultivar ('Jitsuko') a few times, with no luck whatsoever. It turned out to be one of those wonders you chase after with the highest hopes, only to be disappointed.

We tried cuttings, and then grafts on "very hardy" rootstock straight from Japan, and they all died. The single survivor was not fragrant, but was absolutely stunning while it lasted. Since the online marketing claims 'Red Dragon' is fragrant, and relatively hardy, I'm curious to know how it holds up!

• Fishermade
    13 years ago

I got mine from Pike Nursery in Roswell....I have seen them at Pike Nurseries in other locations...mine is growing in part sun to shade and is beautiful..slow growing, but you can smell it across the yard.

• japmapleman
    13 years ago

Try straight line landscapes. Their website is straightlinelandscapes.com
    They and a landscape company but get all kinds of really nice plants

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fishermade-did they have the Red Dragon or just the regular one? I had minor surgery today in Cumming and checked out the Pikes there and they did not carry that one. But I didn't go away empty handed. They had Daphne's and my Daphne died 2 yrs ago, it lived 15 years robustly and smelling wonderful, then just died dead one winter.

I'll try straight line landscapes.

• raptor1
    10 years ago

I have both of the edgeworthias and My red Dragon is the fav. the two but the bloom on the red dragon like better than the yellow one But the fragrance on the yellow is about 8ft. and outstanding.RD seems top be slower
    growth than the yellow Got the yellow one from Pikes and the dragon from Wayside Gardens at first they sent me a stick BUT when i called for a replacement they were very friendly and replaced with not problems I love them(edgeworthia) very much and beside the daphane odora Feb is full on a sweet fragrance But don'tget to close the fragrance is overwhelming

• joefolsom
    3 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I too am looking for a Red Dragon Edgeworthia and can not find a nursery that has it in stock. We have four of the yellow ones and we want one of the red/orange ones to complement the yellow ones we have. Any idea where I might find one north of Atlanta and/or online? We ordered the yellow ones online, but no luck with the Red Dragon. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ordered one from Digging Dog nursery in 2011 and it was just a stick. It is now about 3 ft tall and is healthy but not as full as the yellow one. I didn't get any blooms from either of mine this year because of that early cold snap we had in Nov. It had all its buds but dropped them by Christmas. I was afraid they had both died but was very relieved when their leaves appeared this spring. I have 3 bushes of the old fashioned ones with smaller leaves and flowers from an old homesite. They bloomed this summer--they must be tougher.

• joefolsom
    3 years ago

Thanks but I already tried them and they don't have any in stock. I am on a list for when they get them back in.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?