Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrgard1200

Spring Catalogs

jrgard1200
14 years ago

Is it me ... or are the prices in the catalogs this spring outrageously high this year?

Comments (9)

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

No, it's not you. Prices have been on the rise for a few years now.
    One company I once purchased plants from each year, has increased prices, across the board, each year for the past 4 years. Some increases have been as much as 20% per year.
    The plant prices are now double that of what I once paid!

Ornamental gardening is on the wane, giving way to edible gardening, which is usually grown from seed.
    Companies that sell only ornamentals need to realize, that each time they increase prices, they lose customers, old ones and potential ones, that can no longer afford or refuse to pay, exorbitant prices.

It's usually a no-win situation, spiraling prices leads to loss of their repeat customer base and they eventually fail.
    One needs to look no further than the Metro market area to see nursery failures and closures.
    That same scenario is repeated across the country, whether large or small, old or new, they have failed to learn efficient management techniques to keep prices in check and are eventually forced to close operations.

• jrgard1200
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YouÂre absolutely correct about the nursery failures and closures. IÂm in Northwest Gwinnett County and my only resources are the "big box" stores or Pikes & Northside (Pikes and Northside is a 40minute drive one way). There is virtually no selection or variety between them. All you can get is the same things year after year and everyone else you know in the area has the same named varieties planted. Plus the fact due to the lack of care at the big box stores the plants are stressed a few days after these stores receive them.
    I turn to the catalogs for those different and unusual items but between the prices and shipping I donÂt know if that is a viable option any more.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

There are many compounding reasons why plant prices have gone up. The resources to "make" plants has gone up. Good potting soil is very expensive now, and you need to have plant pots, a greenhouse is expensive, the seeds have gone up about 25% to grow things, energy to run the greenhouse, water prices...

Jrgard, what about Randy's? Is that still open? Is it near you? They can have an interesting variety of plants. It's a fun place to poke around in.

It is a long drive for you, but last fall Gardenhood opened up on Boulevard in Grant Park in Atlanta. They have a very nice and interesting assortment of plants. Unusual is their specialty!

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

One of the principals in the GardenHood Nursery, Scott McMahan, operates a nursery, located on US 129 (5727 Cleveland Hwy) about 11-12 miles north of Gainesville.
    That location is probably more convenient for you, than the intown Atlanta nursery.
    If you want something different & unusual from the Kingdom Plantae, that is probably one of the best sources in the Southeast.

• pam_3
    14 years ago

Is ornamental gardening on the wane? That's news to me! Definite rise in catalog prices, and don't forget the shipping! Sometimes those shipping costs are pretty steep. But sometimes catalog/internet is the best source for something unusual.

Jrgard, Randy's is in Lawrenceville.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Blame it , partly,on energy costs. That includes maintaining greenhouse and transportation.Diesel and No. 2 fuel sell for just under 3 Dollrs per gallon.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I also wonder if part of the increased cost is the increased demand for "green living." It is trendy to garden now. Lots of people who never did it before are doing now. Sort of granola wannabes.

Not to knock it, or anything. Any gardening is great gardening!

But there are people out there who are willing to pay higher prices. However, maybe we will see a corresponding increase in competition, which might lower the prices eventually!

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Well, last week, another local nursery announced that it will close!
    Received notice that Land Arts in Monroe is closing, after 18 years.

All current nursery stock, fixtures, everything is on sale, at least 50% off.

They are planning to open a new business near Athens.

• br33
    14 years ago

NEW NURSERY in north Ga. COZY CABIN NURSERY. BEST prices around low cost shipping and handling 3to4 day delivery .You can buy setting in your home just search cozy cabin nursery. Good products and good people. Bill

Sponsored