Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Bees and salamanders

bagsmom
14 years ago

I just thought I'd start a conversation about these critters. I hear a lot about them disappearing and would love to give them every advantage.

I have seen lots of honeybees lately -- swarming around the pussy-willow and mahonia. The year before last, there were quite a few on my clover too.

What do y'all grow that honeybees enjoy?

Regarding salamanders (and other amphibians) -- a few years ago, I found TONS of them in the back of the property -- in the compost and other leafy areas. Especially big black ones with metallic gold flecks on the back!!!! One day I found 8 of them.

Perhaps it is the result of our years of drought, but I haven't found salamanders for several years now.

What do you guys have to report?

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I found a salamander type creature the other day - I have lots of holes in my woods from long gone trees and I went to put some leftover dirt in one of them. I pulled out a big clump of dead leaves from the center and there he was: all wet and happy in that group of decomposing leaves. I also find them under rocks. Bottom line - try to leave or create natural areas like rocks (just a single one on the ground, they don't have to be stacked) and decomposing vegetation.

As for bees, think of flowers that are composed of lots of small flowers: viburnums (not the ball ones, those are all sterile flowers), elderberry, blueberries, hollies or this ninebark:

One should consider whether you are using flowers that support pollinators like bees - those showy blue and pink hydrangeas? Mostly, if not all, sterile flowers.

• vroomp
    14 years ago

Honey bees seem to love Mexican Heather as well. While my Vitex gets overrun with Bumble Bees the Mexican Heather not far away seems to draw only Honey Bees. Last year we had a good number of Honey Bees(more than in the last few). I am hoping they are making a come back.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

The yoshino cherry tree has been humming for the last week.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

The bees are coming.But salamanders have not yet.Last year I had a lot of them around.Ilike them when they stare at you.Bees just go about thier business, always, in hurry and not decisive.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

cyrus, I think you must be thinking of Green Anoles, not salamanders. Here is a Green Anole:

• wannabefarmgirl
    14 years ago

Cherry Laurel. Evergreen, mine's 20' tall, Today it's alive with feeding bees/micro wasps. Blooms insignificant, but 'chick magnet' for bees and wasps. Short bloom period, about a week. It's amazing to stand close and watch the feeding frenzy. Our pollinator friends are HUNGRY! Very low maintenance, tough, shrub like, bushy, medium tree. Good screen for suburban lot with enough room. Not a holly green....yellow-green with more delicate leaves. Bon Apetite!

• karyls
    14 years ago

bumblebeez - I thought yoshino cherry was sterile?? Be nice if they aren't, we have a lot of them around here.

Most of the heavily marketed Hydrangea paniculata are sterile which is a shame because I love them. Not so much the mopheads, but I have planted a few Hydrangea quercifolia and the bees like them a lot. Snowflake is my favoirte so far and what beautiful fall color! Right now the highbush blueberry is in bloom and they are very busy with bees.

Native bees are an interest of mine, I posted my list of Month by Month List of Native Plants to Attract Honey Bees and am trying to keep track of what the bees prefer as well as bloom time this summer. Several these plants I have but being their first year in, I am not expecting all to bloom. If anyone has input on this list I'd appreciate!

• buford
    14 years ago

My cherry trees (okame and kwanza) were covered with bees. Could hear the buzzing a few feet away. Now the redbuds are buzzing. They also love the pyrocanthia when it blooms. I get those big bees all over my roses when they are open. Also bee balm (monordia) and butterfly bushes are bee magnets. I also grow native passsion flower and the bees love that.

I've never seen a salamander in my yard. We do gets lots of gekos but I have seen frogs for awhile, I used to get a lot before the drought.

• barb7bga
    14 years ago

We don't see many honey bees, but get lots of small and medium bumblebees.

We have a lot of skinks, probably Southeastern Five-lined Skink, that I call blue tails. Also Five-lined Skinks with red heads. They are under the deck or in a stone wall in the backyard. We occasionally see a salamander, but not very often. The link below has images of these.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Lizards of S.C. and GA