Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaja_gw

Invasive (Ivy) Removal Question

kaja
14 years ago

Good morning everyone.

Two weeks ago I removed all the invasive (ivy) vines I could from my trees. I cut the ivy at the base of the tree and ripped the ivy out of the ground by the roots as best I could. Then I ripped as many of the vines off the trees as I could, though some vines remained (some of the vines broke as I was pulling them off the tree).

The remaining ivy was too high for me to reach to pull off the tree, but I though that since I cut all the vines from their roots, that the vines left on the tree would die.

Two weeks later, the remaining ivy doesn't look like it's dying. The ivy doesn't look all that healthy, but it's still alive. Can the vines still live even though they have no root structure any more or are they just slow to die?

Thanks all!

Comments (7)

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Kaja, I can relate. I started doing the same thing last week. Although the Ivy up in the trees that I could not reach is wilting, I'm doubtful that it will die as long as we keep getting rain. I'm hoping that when the temperatures get into the high 80's & 90's, it will die. I really feel bad that we let it get to this point.

I'm still pulling up vines with roots and some of them are big enough for Tarzan to swing on. LOL

I raise Monarch Butterflies and Giant Swallowtails during the summer. I really don't won't to use any kind of herbicide. From what I've been reading here on GW about Ivy, I may have to use something like Roundup to kill it for good. I had no idea the root system for Ivy could get so big. Hopefully, some of the GW experts will chime in and give us some tips.

My hands have blisters from pulling up vines with roots and I was wearing 2 pairs of gloves. Our neightbors down the street have Ivy along their long driveway that is taking over the huge wooded area next to their property (It's across the street from us.) That is such a shame and it breaks my heart as I watch it progress up the street...taking over everything it touches. I wish that the owners of that property would do something before it's too late.

After the past week of going to battle with this plant, I put English Ivy into the same category with Kudzu. For us, family illness and an accident left the Ivy to just take over for several years. In the future, I will only grow Ivy in a pot.

Sorry for going on and on. It's just been such a pain. There's no way that I could bag all of this stuff. I started burning some but with our little fire pit, it would take forever. For now, I'm putting it into big piles and will let the county come pick it up the middle of this week.

Anyway, Kaja, I believe the Ivy we cut growing into the trees will eventually die. Let us hope for the best. In the meantime, I feel your pain!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

It will die. It's just going to take longer than it would if you had cut it during a warmer time of year. Right now the plant is dormant (even though it has green leaves, nutrient flow and growth is minimal).

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Thanks, Brandon, that is music to my ears!

• kaja
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that it will in fact die.

Love_Savannah, no worries! I understand. I moved into my home just about 2 months ago, and ivy is *everywhere*. In some places it's feet high. It will take me quite some time to manage it. Also, my back yard is adjacent to a school, and the ivy is coming from the school property. I know there's nothing I can do except try to manage it.

Like you, I refuse (as long as I am able) to use chemicals, so I realize this will be an on-going effort. I would only opt for chemical use if I absolutely had to use it. If my problem were Kudzu, that might be a different story! Thank goodness it's only nasty ivy. I'm glad though that it'll die. I was afraid it would continue to live on from the trees it was attached to.

One more question.

Let's say that I am able to get most of it pulled. Hypothetically of course. ;) Once this evil, sinister stuff is out of the ground, what's the best way to dispose of it? Should I just let the city take it, or can I burn it, or compost it, or...?

Thanks!

KJ

(PS... Wasn't the weather just wonderful this weekend?)

• amyta
    14 years ago

I've always wondered myself about the disposal of ivy. I don't have anywhere to burn it so I bag it up and let the city carry it off. I just hope it dies inside that bag and doesn't set up housekeeping anywhere else!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

We've had all kinds of vines growing up our trees. The arborist came out first, and mentioned to us not to pull the vines at all, let them fall off naturally so you don't disturb the tree bark. We sliced them all, and did apply the TINIEST bit of herbicide to the root end, just painted on with a paint brush and then sealed with a bit of tin foil. We used a total kill (cheapest we could find) and it worked well with most vines.
    With ivy, (which is not in my own trees) I just go at it by hand. Over and over and over. Or my friend comes and does it for me sometimes too as we've decided it is GOING. I can't plant that area until it's gone and my buddy is motivated to see what beauty could replace it. He was in charge of managing my "back 40" for some years, and he's bound and determined to get ivy gone for good. We are planning to place a root barrier along my neighbors fence (with their permission) to keep it out. They want it, I don't!

• kaja
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey GGG!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you write, "total kill". And as far as a root barrier, how deep should one go to plant an effective root barrier, and what materials would you suggest that I use?

I think my mindset (albeit naive), is that I'd really like it totally gone from my yard. Wishful thinking I suppose, but I will keep this attitude as I work and hope for the best.

I really don't like that stuff...