Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe

Posted by trivedi_south (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 8:06

Has anyone grown Kalanchoe/calanchoe out doors in Atlanta?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe

Yes, I grow a paddle Kolanchoe. I keep it in a large pot, and put it sort of under one of my awnings all summer as it gets sunburned in direct sun. I bring it inside in the winter and put it in a South facing large window. It goes back out the beginning of May.
Mine, if kept very dry has handled a low in the 30's before but never freezing. I don't want to loose it, so I won't let it freeze.

o

Thank you GGG. I just bought some from Kroger.

o

I have grown 2 or 3 of the species, but not the hybrids that are found at supermarkets and florists.

Mine were grown in pots, on a south facing patio and were overwintered there. During the winter, I placed the pots against the brick wall of the house and covered the plants with a 4-ply thickness of row crop cover, a light, thin, woven fabric used to protect early crops against frost, among other functions.

That worked well for a number of years. One year, while away from home for an extended period, we experienced an early hard freeze and the unprotected plants became compost!

They are an interesting tropical plant, probably worth the effort, if you have the time to protect and care for them during the winter. I liked them due to their xerophytic nature. They don't take kindly to overwatering, often developing root-rot (Phytophthora & Pythium fungus).

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 11:22

I had some in containers (but took them in during frosts, they never reflowered after the first go round). Then I left the ones I have put in the GH, they have been in there ALL year even during the summer months! and they are thriving, and ALL have rebloomed. so I guess I have found a home that they like and will cooperate with. The ones' outside always looked shriveled up and sad. Not any more ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here