Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Understory Tree/ Dogwood Varieties

Posted by heavenscent 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 8:09

I plan on planting an understory tree near my pea gravel driveway which is located in shade/part shade near the north side of my yard under giant oak trees.
I would love for the tree branches to grow over the driveway to frame the view from the street. Of course Dogwood is the first variety that comes to mind since it also has a spreading canopy. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a specific variety of dogwood that maybe has a better form, prettier flowers, or any other attributes. I am also open to suggestions for other tree varieties.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Understory Tree/ Dogwood Varieties

Cornus florida 'Cherokee Princess' seems to be a good one, a plus is that the flowers are larger than the species and it flowers at a younger age. Pike Nurseries has carried it in the past. Buck Jones (Grayson/Woodstock) lists it in their catalog in several sizes. They also list Cloud Nine which is said to flower when young as well.

To save gas, I'd call around for availability.

o

On a related note, Dogwoods - I've caught wind there is a blight that is killing a lot of Dogwoods right now...we have at least three of them within a 2-block radius of my house that died this past year. Is it a big problem, a problem that some varieties are less susceptible to, or ?

o

Dogwood anthracnose is the problem. It is very sad, but happens. Mine has been fighting it for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood anthracnose

o

Dogwoods that get more sun are supposedly more resistant than those in shade. These days any cultivars that are developed are considered in light of disease resistance. That's why if you look them up, you will see comments on being "resistant".

People like to transplant dogwoods from the wild, but some folks recommend that buying a cultivar that is known for some degree of resistance is better in the long run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here