Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Native plant sales this spring

Iris GW
14 years ago

Native plant sales are happening again - two organizations that usually have them had suspended them in 2008 and 2009, so it is great to have them back.

Chattahoochee Nature Center - Saturday, March 27 from 9 AM - 5 PM and Sunday, March 28 from Noon - 5 PM. This is in Roswell, GA.

Dunwoody Nature Center - deadline to pre-order is March 26, pick up date for orders is April 9th/10th. Website is here.

Georgia Native Plant Society - Saturday, April 24th 10 am to 2 pm in Cobb County. Bring a wagon, it's that good! General website is here.

These events offer plants that are not always found in nurseries and also provide financial support for these organizations. CNC's plant selection includes plants propagated on site and purchased plants. GNPS's plant selection includes member donations, rescued plants, propagated plants, and nursery donations/purchases.

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS PDF flyer with sale details

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Also Perimeter College is having their native plant sales again.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right and here's a link to their page. They are a great group of folks.

They also have wildflower walks and talks on Wednesdays. You can find the schedule here. The programs start March 31. These talks are free and are given by some GREAT folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: GPC Lunch and Wildflower series

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

The native clematis talk should be a goodie! I have bought so many and KILLED them all. I think they may end up being better suited to the back yard, but I was sad to loose so many after working hard to meet cultural needs. I guess I didn't actually meet what I thought the needs where :(

Also, the property is wonderful. The volunteers have improved it greatly the last several years. I love to go for picnics and look to see what is blooming and when. It's very handy when you have a non-gardening and non-garden knowing partner, they can basically just point and say "like that, hate that..." and choose a garden!

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Doesn't anybody have native plant sales in the middle Georgia or coastal Georgia area? Who would I contact in these areas to find out?

Most of my family is in middle GA and I'm in Savannah. I'm back and forth all the time since my dad passed away. I'm not familiar with any nature groups here that involve plants. I'd love to know if there are similar sales in our area.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a reminder that the Georgia Native Plant Society's annual plant sale will be this Saturday in Marietta from 10 am to 2 pm.

McFarlane Nature Park
    280 Farm Road SE
    Marietta, GA 30067

We haven't had the sale for 2 years due to the drought, so we are pulling out all the stops to have a huge sale. Trees, shrubs, perennials, ferns, bog plants - all native. Plants were rescued from construction sites, donated by nurseries and members, grown from seed and some were even purchased just for this sale (several hundred native azaleas, for example).

We'll have extra people on hand to help answer questions and give suggestions. Have a mystery native plant? Bring a piece and we'll try to identify it. I'll be hanging out in the tree/shrub area - stop by and say hi.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bon - I asked someone more south of me about plant sales and he suggested: Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville (which I can recommend personally), and Garden Delights Garden Center in Pine Mountain, GA (home to some wonderful azaleas).

Also check into Georgia Southern Botanical Garden - they have plant sales from time to time.

And to those of you in the metro area - come by on Saturday and get some native plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Delights

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz