Houzz Logo Print
apio_gw

looking for a gardener with a big wing

apio
10 years ago

not much going on here,
but desperate as I am,
I'll just give it a try

I am looking for a gardener in the north metro area, somewhere less than a days journey from Duluth
who is willing to take a garden noob under his/her wing, share experience, give advice, trade plants ...

my main interest at this point are edibles and an occassional flower
would love to advance to chicken, rabits, fish, too

looking forward

Comments (15)

• allen456
    10 years ago

I'm nearby. Have kept a vegetable garden for years. Always considered livestock, but I live inside city limits and it's frowned upon.

Anything specific you'd like to know? The GardenWeb is a fantastic resource, but if you're in Duluth, Pike's ain't a bad place to go for advice either!

• apio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Allen,

but you don't understand my intent, do you?

• allen456
    10 years ago

Are you seeking something along the lines of an apprenticeship? You don't have a garden plot in mind?

• apio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no, I am not looking for a job
    and I am not looking for a piece of land
    but I am not looking for sheer information on a narrow specific topic

mentor
    may be the best fitting term

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

lorem ipsum sed amet.

This post was edited by chrisb_sc_z7 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:35

• apio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'You just want someone to talk to about gardening. TALK to in person. ...I get that."

but the advice you give me, is to read on this web site and that web site
    really?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I live pretty far away from you, but I have alot of gardening advice. I have raised chickens for 3 years now and I'm a master gardener for what that is worth. I took the class and realized how little I really know after working in 3 nurseries and one garden center. Have you tried your local ag center or a garden club for a mentor? I can give you advice online, but I know it's not the same as hands on. Maggie

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

lorem ipsum sed amet.2

This post was edited by chrisb_sc_z7 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 14:45

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Do you have any small nurseries near you? I've found a few nursery people that are delighted to share all they know with me.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

I am sorry, but I am Lol. look up my post titled " looking for a garden sage". from late 2009. I have not had many mentors other than my father, who did it all, with many failures and years of success in many of his organic gardening endeavors. I also had my mother who was raised on a chicken farm, and stepdad, so I grew up in the garden. al three of my sisters also gardened to varying degrees, canning everything they could, and, like me whatever may fall off of someone elses tree. My father was still my main garden influence, but the only thing he did not do that I have only ever done, is boxed raised beds. I have had many very dear friends that I have learned from that could garden circles around me, and vice versa. I go to garden centers and use every pick up line known to man or woman, but I am not trying to pick up men. my husband would not like that. I live off of I 75 North, halfway between Atl and Chattanooga. Get connected here, and go to the plant swaps, go to the Chattahoochee nature center, and or volunteer to work their plant sale, with the seasoned gardeners. Go to out of the way places, and do talk to strangers, and maybe you will really connect with someone. I stood talking with a woman at Pikes and we talked so long, we decided to go to dinner, then I even went and had a sleepover with her, my husband travels alot and she is a widow. So think along those lines,not looking for the sleepover, straight away. join some civic garden groups and you may be bound to find a few people you can glean from. I am a mother bird with a big wing and am always happy to share any knowledge, plants, produce, etc. as many gardeners are, I just think I am too far for you. look for people with some gray hair.wearing dirty clothes and not filling their carts with annuals, and reeking of artificial fragrance, dont be afraid to eavesdrop, or interject a question at the appropriate time. Just trying to offer what I do to connect and learn along the way, you can't learn it all in one place, everyone has been really good at something and many older gardeners and earthy people would not mind sharing, teaching and passing it on as you can give to them as well. I have had many helpers over the years, some think I am crazy, some caught my love of gardening. HaPPy Spring to you, Apio!

• apio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

had I asked for a trade of
    say
    yellow cherry tomato seed

you folks would have given me a list of places to buy them from,
    reasons to get red cherry instead,
    praise on aunt Betty's tomato salad

but not one offer for a trade

• celeste
    10 years ago

Just wondering why reading to gather information is out of the question. Are you looking for someone to donate their time and knowledge to save reading time? Gardeners are generous by nature, but would like appreciation for their donations. Cryptic postings might not be the best way to ask for someone's help.

A list of seeds or plants you are willing to trade would help get a trade. Just sayin'

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

i think we can all tell the author of this post may not really be cut out to be or have the kind of heart a true gardener does. thanks celeste, I could not have said it better, my response to the negativity is. When someone is offering you their hand by taking the time to respond, why bite them?

• apio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

let me summarize:
    5 weeks,
    9 posts
    not one person willing to engage in a face to face conversation
    but at least the last one knowing that I don't have what it takes to garden

what a wonderful forum

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

apio, if you wanted to trade tomato seeds, i would be looking to see what you were offering. that's how it always works (not just for you).

Sponsored