Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

More spring rains!

Iris GW
15 years ago

Good chance of rain starting on Wednesday. For those of you that planted things this weekend, it will be beneficial. Still a chance to get some things in the ground (not annuals) today and tomorrow and take advantage of the rain.

And for those of you pulling woody weeds like ivy and honeysuckle (me, me!), this next weekend looks good for that (i.e., after the rain).

I think the rainful so far this year has been good and I hope that it continues through spring.

I worked on the Heritage Park Trail restoration project for GNPS this weekend (removed a lot of japanese honeysuckle there) - the Virginia bluebells were spectacular! These are plants that have been planted by GNPS members over the last 9 years and they have thrived. They especially like the low, moist areas. The blue of the flowers was electric against the green foliage. I saw several people walking the trail with cameras. The bloodroot was also in peak form - crisp white flowers in sharp contrast to the leaf litter.

Comments (8)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Hope the prognosticators are correct, as we do need the rain.
    I looked at three different prediction models and the probability of significant rainfall (one inch or more), varied from 40% to 90% on Wednesday and less through Saturday. One model also indicates a possibility of rain during two days next week.
    I will take what I get, and be thankful!

My VA Bluebells have apparently given up, due to absence of adequate moisture. None returned this year. My two large colonies of Southern Maidenhair fern have also dwindled to just a few fronds. The Northern Maidenhair doesn't seem to mind the dry conditions and is thriving.

Received another 100 packs of seed to plant. Result of a 2nd round distribution by NARGS. First round requests for seed were far less than usual this year. About half of the seed I received were NA natives. A few were SA (Peru) native bulbous plants (does that count)? Two packs of Lyonia sp. seed from China, one definitely mislabeled with a nonexistent specific epithet name.

Keeping busy outdoors now. Tremendous amount of work to accomplish. Should stay away from Growers Outlet for a while, everytime I go there, the workload intensifies!

esh_
    I have apparently eradicated the J honeysuckle from these environs, now if I could only do the same to Ivy and Chinese wisteria!

Enjoy the beauty of Springtime, everyone! The sweltering heat of summer will arrive much too soon!
    BTW, mosquitoes have already begun to hatch. Heard and saw the first one on Sunday.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eradicated the japanese honeysuckle? If you have, there is HOPE for me! I pull some almost every time I go out. I know that sometimes I leave a little piece behind ... one day, I'm gonna have to use chemicals on the last remnants.

Thanks for the heads up on the mosquitos.

• laylaa
    15 years ago

you two need blogs. I am serious!! And if you don't know how to set one up, just ask. It's what I do. You both are full of great ideas and knowledge, plant recommendations, nurseries, etc. I have notes on advice you both have given and I am not a great note taker. It sure would be handy if you both would just compact it all in blogs for the rest of us please. Then, in your spare time, if you would not mind co-authoring a book about real-life native gardening, with a special chapter(s) on killing invasive nasties, that too would be just fantastic. :)

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You have to give Rb a chapter on rock gardening too, I think.

I don't know about that blog thing ... you can't teach an old dog new tricks ....

How are your projects going, laylaa?

• laylaa
    15 years ago

Ha! Guess I'll have to keep taking notes then. At least I am organized. Lots of notes.

Projects are projects - some days it's WOOHOO! other days it's "what was I thinking and may I throw myself on an axe now?" I know so much on some topics and am a total blank on others.

A fellow gardener recently sent me cuttings of plants I really wanted, totally out of the blue, in a random act of kindness and generosity. It was wonderful. Let me thank any gardener who has ever shared plants or knowledge - it's an incredibly nice thing to do. That was certainly a WHOOHOO! day. And now it's raining, so that's another WHOOHOO! day.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

laylaa...
    Thanks for the thought and suggestion, but I must pass.
    I don't know where the time would come from, maybe if each day were a few hours longer! An old sage once remarked, There's 24 hours in each day... and then there's the nights?

Last count, I am trying to grow more than 2000 different garden plants, amid the drought conditions and other natural and manmade deterrents.

And then there is the paperwork and volunteerism!
    I often meet myself coming around a corner!
    I would like to be more active in the GNPS, but it seems like every event they schedule, where volunteers are needed, I am already committed elsewhere!

One great benefit from being so active, I don't have the time to be sick! As long as the PM & Defib keeps ticking, I'm good to go!
    Rb

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

I'm glad for a few days of relief, from the spring showers, so that I can dry out my basement! First time I've had this much water there and after I spent a small fortune 5 years ago to have it waterproofed!

The plants really loved the rain and are competing with each other to determine which can grow the fastest.
    Wood poppies are blooming now, along with Bloodroot and a couple of Iris species and many Trillium. Found blooms on one Columbine today, a tall pink flowering one that appeared in the garden a couple of years ago. Mayapples are up, no blooms yet.
    Pansies received a beating from all of the rain, but one patch of Daffodils are still standing and in bloom. Seems like they have been blooming forever!
    NOAA/NWS forecasts 100% chance of rain early Wed and 50% chance for daytime hours. Ken says partly cloudy Wed. Guess we wait to see who is right!

• mk87
    15 years ago

Slightly off-topic, but rain-related:

georgia-rose -- I'm with ya on the basement issue. I don't know what to do with ours. We were going to close it in, so we built the walls and left a large double-door opening and a window opening, in the brick. But, we get about 2 inches of water down there every time it rains like what we've had this past week. (There is just a dirt floor now, because we didn't "finish" it, due to the water issue.) So, it's basically just a brick room without a door and without a window and without a floor. Just a big ol' 9-ft ceiling "crawl" space. Was thinking about just putting a pump down there and doing about 4-5 inches of pea gravel also, as a drainage helper and just letting go of my finished basement dreams. I am afraid of spending the same small fortune that you did and having the same thing happen that is happening to you. Any thoughts?

And, ON topic...I am VERY glad for the rain for those of you who need it, and won't complain TOO much about the wet, puddly, sloppy, drowned yard and gardens. (I will say that weeding has been easy and, in the process, I've killed some more of those dang grubs!!!)

Sponsored