Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Afternoon sun

Posted by stevega 7b? (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 10:05

I have some areas that get about 3 hours of afternoon sun (3-6 pm). Is that strong sun enough for full sun plants like daisies, coneflowers, agastache and the like? I reclaimed the area from bermuda lawn that was green but a little sparse. The shade is from a large southern red oak and some chestnuts so it is not real deep shade. Does anyone have experience in similar situations?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Afternoon sun

In my opinion, a full sun plant has two considerations: enough HOURS of sun to meet bloom requirements (6 or more hours), and the ability to withstand afternoon sun. While those plants certainly can handle the afternoon sun in your location, that location will not be meeting their needs for bloom requirements. I'm sure they will bloom some, but not live up what they could if they got 6 or more hours of sun.

However, that area may be getting some early morning sun or filtered sun before the afternoon so the plants MAY actually get more than 3 hours.

You could try it and move them later.

o

I planted Gerbera Daisies at the front edge of a garden spot that has morning shade from an Oak Tree, and then afternoon sun. They have thrived and bloomed for five years. However, I found that both Squirrels and Chipmunks like them and often snap the blooms. (It makes me so mad!) I moved some Purple Coneflowers last year from full sun to a different spot which gets morning sun, about four or so hours each day total. They grew and looked OK, but had zero blooms.

o

Afternoon sun has been the biggest challenge of my yard. You usually don't know until you try something.

o

Thanks for the input. It is difficult because the afternoon sun does a number on part sun plants but may not be enough for full sun varieties. Unfortunately, The cycle is 3 years to know if they will "thrive". I'll continue to learn by doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here