Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

New info about stink bugs in Georgia

rosiew
12 years ago

Not good news. Just read this online:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/stink-bugs-migrating-to-the-deep-south/2012/03/15/gIQA2noTHS_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines

I remember discussions about this last year, but don't remember what advice was given for control. Recall that they're hard to grab - personal experience. Hoping some of you will contribute to this discussion.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I think we were talking about the kudzu stink bug last year (which is also mentioned in the article you link to). The brown marmorated stink bug is the one migrating to the South and it is yet another non-native insect that we inadvertently brought into our environment.

It's a shame how we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot by importing invasive organisms and then not recognizing/dealing with them until it is almost impossible to control: plants, bugs, snakes, mussels, blight, fungus ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Your link

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear esh_ga,
    We have sown the wind and are reaping the whirlwind.

• tifbee
    12 years ago

The farm I work at had a horrible infestation of stink bugs last year...between the squash bugs, stink bugs, and tomato hornbill worms, we about didn't break even last year. Luckily we do everything organically and sustainable, so we got our soap buckets out and collected as much of the larvae as we can. This fall we did cover crops which we hope will help with the soil health to combat the larvae production. Also, crop rotation helps too.

• bagsmom
    12 years ago

Between the squirrels and squash bugs, I've given up trying to grow veggies at home. Every time I went out to the garden and said a bunch of bad words, I thought about how awful it would be to fight these pests when they are destroying your livelihood!

We've seen lots of stink bugs around already. Many more than normal.

• roswell_organic
    12 years ago

I have not had many problems with stink bug, but did do some research on them, after seeing the same article about a week or so ago. Sorry I did not keep references, but what I found is that they do seem to prefer buckwheat. My plan so far is to use buckwheat as a trap crop, I used it last year to attract beneficial insects, it brings lots of tiny parasitic wasps and grows fast. And also add more bird feeders and water sources for birds. I have 0 problems with tomato horn worms since I put the bird feeder by the main veggie garden. The cardinals are so good at catching them, they don't even have time to make a dent on tomatoes. Crossing my fingers birds will like the stink bugs too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH