Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID a Beautiful PLant

Posted by young-gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 10:31

Posted by young-gardener GA- Atlanta (My Page) on Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 10:29

I am trying to identify this plant. (see link)
http://www.dropshots.com/sweetteaandlemon#date/2009-03-23/09:27:54

It pops up in my yard this time each year (mid March) then fades away after a week or so. The property was once part of a large Southern Civil War era home and even served as a pecan orchard for some time. Does anyone know what it is called? It has small, deeply bedded bulbs and grows mostly in the shade. It comes up as a tall grass, and not every plant blooms. Last year, I transfered one to a bed, and this year that plant didn't bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: FLOWER PICTURES

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID a Beautiful PLant

It's a Daffodil (Narcissus), likely a cultivar in Division Triandrus or Cyclamineus, indicated by the recurved petals.
Rb

o

I think it's Silver Bells, Ornithogalum Nutans. It's an old pass-along bulb and is in the Star of Bethlehem family. They're all over the yard at my Grandmother's house, which is now owned by my cousin. I dug up some and moved them to my house a couple of years ago. They are pretty slow getting started, although they are great naturalizers once they get going. They're all over the place at the homeplace. My cousin doesn't cut the grass untill after they bloom, maybe that helps them naturalize. I believe you could collect the seeds and plant them for more. Sorry I don't know how to post a link but I'm sure you could google them for another picture. In fact, I just got my new catalogue from Brent and Becky's bulbs and saw them in there.

o

Young gardener, I live in Coweta as well. E-mail me and maybe we could go flower hunting for the spring. I am already "chomping at the bit" to plant!

o

nancybea- That's it!!! Thank you! You just made my day. I'm so glad to know I can get these lovely flowers for my beds. They are so elegant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here