Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to plant sweet potatoes

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 10:42

Since I'm typically waiting for the box stores to dictate when to plant stuff (as in they have it to sell, so I buy it and I guess I can now plant it).

I'm taking a more educated approach to planting this year.

OK, so the dilema is......that since I"m not as educated as I'd like to be on these matters, I decided to consult with YOU!!!

I intend to use what I have to get them started, which is a whole 5 gallon bucket full of small potatoes from my plants last year, that did amazingly!! Best sweet potatoes ever!! but this year, I've prepared a special place for them, so that they dont take over the entire garden spot like last year....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to plant sweet potatoes

I'd set them out the 2nd week in April.

o

The soil needs to be warm like when you plant caladium tubers. If the soil is wet and cold, they will tend to rot. I typically wait until the first of May but you might be able to get away with the middle of April IF it's very warm. But don't plant with these cold nights we are having now.

o

I grow sweet potato 2 years in a row to havest the leaves and young shoots without problem. Surprisingly, I have havested some big roots in the fall too. I planted them from the top of the plant: easy and cheap method.
I just bought one lbs of top of sweet potato plants in Korean SuperH market (it's similar to Harry Farmer Market, or any Chinese grocessry store) for about $2.00. I will wait for tomorrow when the temp is warmer, and stick those top of plants into the ground. The next week will be kind of rainy, and it's good for young shoots growing.

The trade of of this method is that I am not able to plant the variety I like... The good thing: I don't have to worry much about taking care of the seedling from the roots.

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here