Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjani

What is growing...

tjani
13 years ago

Well we are almost in April. What is growing in your home nursery pots that would go in the ground next week?

Did anyone already transplant into the ground previous week? Would the rain/cold (Atlanta) destroy the tiny plants (not covered)? The weather has been flaky (hot-then cold- then rainy)

Comments (11)

• tifbee
    13 years ago

I've already planted potatoes, broccoli, onion, beets, carrots and spinach. The rain and cold weather has been great for these plants. I have only covered my blackberry plants when the nights get below 36 in case there is frost. Hopefully this weekend the soil will dry out a bit.

I will plant some more strawberry plants next week. In two weeks I will plant black beans, pole beans, and herbs. In three weeks I will plant cherry tomatoes, egg plant, peppers, zucchini, and cucumbers...and marigolds to keep the bugs out.

Good luck!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have lettuces, all other greens, radishes, onions, favas and many more in the garden. I'm not doing annuals quite yet, I want to clear out the spring annuals that are still pushing along out, before I put in summer annuals. There are a lot of herbs that need to go in the ground, some fruit, camelias, and a ton of plants to be moved around. I'll do as much as I can as we go along.
    This weekend I hope to work on an area that the City of Atlanta workers removed when they did some work at a neighbors house (don't ask me why they stole plants AND good soil! Yes, they did!!)...I need to add and amend the soil and replant. Thankfully, I always have enough of my own stock mostly for replacement. The only thing they seemed to totally remove were the little nana coreopsis (which would really do better somewhere else, anyway...Thank goodness for annuals and seeds!!!

• tjani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you grow lavender? Is it classified as herb? Do you bring it in during winter and transplant back in ground, in spring? Which fruit trees are you planning to put out?

Seems like you need a good fence and security cameras...if not a ferocious looking dog for those theiving neigbors. Maybe you can casually mention to them that since you had some incidents of theft, you have installed cameras around the property to catch the culprit and actually show the camera....hahahah....someone has suggested to me a while back to install a camera and the flickering red light (even if the camera was not recording) is deterrant enough for most people! If you can mark your plants somehow, then mark them. Paint the leaves or something. I totally don't understand why someone should be so dumb as to steal from a neigbor!!

• tifbee
    13 years ago

Lavender is classified as an herb and as long as you get a cold hardy type of Lavender you can leave outside year around. The plant tag will confirm if that type is cold hardy based on the planting guide.

I've planted a dwarf golden jubilee peach tree and a dwarf damson plum tree. Both are cold hardy and tolerate semi-drought conditions. I planted them in larger planters to help control moisture and bugs, and will move to the porch in the winter. Next year I'll be transplanting a brown turkey fig tree from my Mom's house.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have jujube, blueberries (let them go, and you'll end up almost with a tree!!) Pomeranian, and a pineapple guava. We will eventually have many more and different fruits, but can't do all the planting for those at this time.
    What I really need is neighbors who are not thieves. It is ridiculous to have to close off my property like that to people who can't behave themselves and be good neighbors.

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Cool crop, I have a few and most have been there for a while. I am hoping to harvest some lettuce(mix) before it heats up and they bolt. I direct sowed, instead of starting in cold frame at least. But the lettuces have 2"long leaves and growing fine. This is the kind of weather that lettuce likes, cool rainy and some sunshine.
    Tomorrow,I may plant few tomatoes, eggplants and peppers that I have bought. My own seeds are just germinating in the cold framme. I was exited today to see my okra seeds germinating in the cold fram. I sowed them about a week ago and the weather has not been very warm. This is my second year growing okra. I am still learning about it.

• tjani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My okra too is germinating, along with some beans.

I put a net around my 2 of my dwarf apple trees which were "trimmed" half by the deers last year. I have a third apple tree on slight elevation which deers spared...that apple tree is flowering..unfortunately it won't have apples because it needs pollination. My figs trees, year 3, are doing great. Only problem is that figs drops off (the fruit when it is quite green)...a handful made it last year..they turned blackish brown and were delish but very small. The trees are still babies I guess and not sure what else I could do.

Tifbee: how long does it take for the dwarf trees to start producing fruit. I was planning on getting plum from lowes. They had it for $19. Is it worth it? Are they good variety? I would really like a pear tree actually.

• tifbee
    13 years ago

For the arbor foundation website, this Damson Plum dwarf tree is self-pollinating and will produce fruit in year two. The first year is about getting the roots established and the energy stored for fruit production the next year. The tree is about 4 feet tall already and full of flowers...I might get fruit this year=) I purchased the plum tree on the arbor foundation website for $9. If you become a member ($10 donation) then you can get for $9, otherwise it is approximately $12 to $15.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Damson Plums are listed at needing a minimum of 800 chill hours for fruiting. That is a fairly high rate for many parts of Georgia. It might work well in the mountains or far North Georgia but for many parts that could be a very difficult amount to attain annually.

• tifbee
    13 years ago

Since I moved here in 2004, we've had 3+ months of true winter weather in the Atlanta area. 800 chill hours amounts to only 33 days of cold weather. I'm hopeful they will grow and, if not, they still have pretty flowers and will attract pollinators like bees and butterflies to the garden.

• tjani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess we have now hot then cold days instead of *continuous* cold days even in winter.

If anyone has plums growing here in GA, please post.

I want to grow pear trees as well though it seems it is already too late this year.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES