Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

what to do about super-saturated soil

rosiew
13 years ago

I squish when I walk around the lower part of the gardens/yard. Dug a huge hole to transplant a miscanthus and the hole completely filled with water. Vegetable garden area has cardboard then partly composted leaves and a bunch of horse manure, about 8" worth. What in the world should I do to try to dry out.

Also, a raccoon completely dug up a smallish bed around my submerged pond - uprooted a couple of dozen pansies in gorgeous bloom. That soil is now clumpy soaked and a mess.

Your thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks, Rosie, Sugar Hill

Comments (6)

• buford
    13 years ago

Wait till the drought comes back :) Seriously, my lawn is squishy too. I avoid the lowest part of my yard where the water drains towards the drainage hole. If you have a spot that stays wet days after it rains, you have to be careful about what you plant there, make sure it likes wet feet.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I don't know of any way to "dry it out" after the fact. You can either determine how water flows there and attempt to divert it for the future or plant things that tolerate wet as buford says.

Luckily there are a good number of native plants that tolerate wet feet, both in sun and shade conditions.

Oh and make sure you don't have a water leak (either water main or your own pipe) that is contributing to the dampness.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to both of you. What a mess I have. This part of my backyard is the lowest spot - starting from the street adjacent to mine - downhill all the way to my property.

I may have to abandon the lasagna bed I was attempting for this area, most of which is my designated veggie garden which hasn't performed well because of crappy soil. Straw bale gardening in this spot may be a solution for this year.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
    Rosie

• vicki7
    13 years ago

I really like esh's suggestion to get a few plants that like wet feet and soggy conditions... if I had an area like you described that's what I would do. You know the old saying 'if you're given lemons, make lemonade' :)
    Good luck

• rosiew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well gals, may have to follow your ideas - but the soil won't stay sloppy wet. It's a full sun area, side yard, would be a perfect place for veggies.

Ideas for plants that tolerate wetness would be so welcome. I know the miscanthus can, also acorus, which I like. Was going to install new rain barrel on that side - laughing at the idea now.

Still sighing in Sugar Hill,
    Rosie

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

A full sun plant that tolerates wet but is ok when it dries out is Clethra - commonly called Summersweet. One of the few shrubs that blooms in the summer, so it is very welcome then. Tall varieties like 'Ruby Spice' and shorter varieties like 'Hummingbird'.

Another idea is Ilex verticillata - commonly called Winterberry. Fine with wet and full sun. 'Winter Red' is a common cultivar. Does best with a male pollinator (like 'Southern Gentleman') but you may have enough other hollies nearby. If you don't like bees, don't get this - hollies are a pollinator's dream come true!

You can also do Elderberry or Possumhaw (Viburnum nudum).

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks