Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Can I scream now?

girlgroupgirl
14 years ago

Freezing nights all the rest of this week. Warmer temps next week with RAIN every single day, no sun listed in site next week.

I am about ready to pull my hair out.

Comments (17)

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Go ahead and scream!!!!!!!!! Let it ouuuuuttttttt!

Spring will soon be here!

• buford
    14 years ago

I am so far behind. Between this weather and a bad foot, I've done almost nothing this entire fall/winter.

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Girlgroupgirl, I'll scream with you. I'm so tired of wearing a coat all day.

I did manage to get a couple of hummingbird feeders out this morning. That made me feel like I'd accomplished something pertaining to spring.

Come on spring!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Savannah, you guys too? And that is where I thought maybe we could move.
    My fear is that spring will be very short, then we'll be in the disgustingly hot season where you can't plant a thing and you can't move a muscle - a really long summer, then back to a freezing cold winter. If that's the case, I swear, I'm out of Atlanta. I'm an outdoor girl, and this weather is killing me (and packing on the pounds) - I don't live up north anymore because I hate the cold. But I also don't like it 95 with 95% humidity either :)

• scotland1
    14 years ago

The rain is at least going to be "showers", so it won't rain non-stop. I just want the yard to dry out. We're at the bottom of the block, and all of our grass/weeds have drowned. I have to figure out how to reseed without the chickens eating all of it. And this weekend will be perfect.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I want to live somewhere that's warm but not a "humidity soup" swamp, doesn't have problems with hurricanes, doesn't have serious RKN problems, temps at night average in the 50's and temps during the day average the 80's. The only place I know of is California, and my industry isn't there.

GGG, I feel your pain. We have it bad too, because we're a lower elevation downhill than you so temps are a couple degrees cooler than where you are, even though it's just a dozen or two blocks away. I've been keeping myself busy with rooting lots and lots of new fig scion the past several weeks, I have around 25-30 small trees rooted at this point, and I got abouot 15 varieties of heirloom tomatoes plus some spanish and southwestern US/central american peppers in seed starter mix last night. I got two more cherry trees in the ground about 10-12 days ago, and if I can't be outside, and the ground is too frozen to work, and it's raining all the time ... at least I have all these plants indoors!!

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

GGG, we haven't had it much better than you down here. We have an expected low of 31°F tonight & 32°F tomorrow night. Thank goodness, we're supposed to reach the 60s on Sunday. I just keep reminding myself of the years that I lived in NJ and IL. In other words, it could be worse. LOL I'm just not much of a cold-weather person.

This morning I saw some Canadian Geese fly over. Hope that's a good sign. Anyway, I have vowed not to complain when the 90° temps and high humidity return. You will not hear a word from me!

Satellitehead, okay, I'll bite, "What does RKN stand for?"

Spring 2010, officially arrives in 15 days. A lot can happen in 15 days. General Beauregard Lee predicted an early spring and I'm counting on him to be right! Like they say, "BEAU KNOWS". LOL

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

Screaming is a very healthy thing to do - wonderful emotional release. How about a group scream? Ready? On a count of three...

It is true, the weather has been the craziest I have ever seen this year. Has there ever been as much snow and freezing temps in Ga? We lived here for almost 20 years, and I don't recall winter like this.

The good news - spring is just around the corner. I saw a jap.iris blooming yesterday (I thought it was a crocus from a far - and was so surprised to see iris), and a hyacinth. Few daffs. Soon...

• pam_3
    14 years ago

Don't leave GGG! At least this weekend thru Monday should be really, really nice. My daughter's birthday party is Sunday (she's 2!) So, I'm happy for the sunshine. I, too, dread the days and days of rain. We're getting a lot of work done on our drains in back, but the work is made slower by cold/rainy weather. And i'm not the most patient person!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

@love_savannah

Root Knot Nematode

Little tiny worms that are common in the soil of the southeast, which love to attack three of my favorite plants: figs, tomatoes and peppers. It attacks other things too.

RKN is almost impossible to get rid of once you're infected, they can spread through the soil really fast (many feet per year), they can do massive amounts of damage to plants, stunt growth, cause fruit drop and any number of other negative stuff.

Here are some pictures from an infected bareroot fig I bought from a grower in Louisiana. You can clearly see the nodules, full of hundreds of eggs, just waiting to pop out and infect my nice, clean soil. It was promptly shipped back.

Very, very important to check every plant you buy for this type of infection. Many nurseries don't care, or aren't aware of this type of infection.

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Satellitehead,

Thanks for clearing that up for me (very nice photos). Those worms look nasty. I did do a Goog search but didn't see anything that fit. Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares just didn't sound right.. LOL

I will certainly pay more attention to the roots of my plants in the future. I always plant some tomatoes and peppers.

Thanks again, Satellitehead, good information. It's 7:30 am and I've already learned something new today.

GGG, get up, finish your coffee and get out there. The sun is out and life is good!

• trivedi_south
    14 years ago

Screaming ain't good...instead have a full throttled laughter.

I just pulled handful of green, hairy weeds from my flowerbeds!!! I think Spring is here.

How did you post pic. inside a message satellite?

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Iam getting ready to cheer.
    Tonigh is is the last consequtive night with lows going down
    to freezing mark and below. as of tomorrow night and after that lows
    will bounce up to 40sF. This will make everythinh to move.

I drink to that. Salute!

Cyrus

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

@trivedi, check out this link, something I tossed together for the fig forums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting pictures

• ashli
    14 years ago

A few hours ago we came home and I heard a "gushing" sound... DH checked the basement (more like a crawlspace)and found that we had a busted pipe and water was gushing out...He said that when he went to turn the water off at the meter, the meter hand (is it called a needle?) was flying...
    About two weeks ago, I turned the truck around in our front yard and got stuck...Nothing we tried worked...so, $70.00 to have a wrecker pull it out of the mud.
    It has rained so much, I'm afraid the trees will uproot.
    and our roof leaks...It seems we are down to two seasons...Summer and Winter.
    GGG, can I scream with you?...ha

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I have never heard of Root Knot Nematode so that was very informative!!

Yes, it looks like the freezing temps at night are behind us for a little while. I am so glad to see this - I have about 100 pots in my garage - perennials that I'm grooming for our native plant sale in April - now I can put them out and leave them out(although that does leave them exposed to potential squirrel mischief!!). The heucheras are just putting out new little leaves ... they are going to be beautiful.

What a gorgeous day ahead.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Wonderful day today. 64 outside at 11pm.

@esh, we just had a local neighbor dig up another neighbor's fig tree, only to find RKN infection galore, galls all over the roots. I sent him pictures before he went to dig it up so he could watch out for it.

RKN is ever-present in GA soil, it seems. I haven't dug up anything in my yard that's had it yet, but ....

I hear it will attack cherries as well. Meh!

Sponsored