Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter King Hawthorn vs. Amelanchier 'Autumn Brilliance'

Posted by ilikemud_2007 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 11:13

They both sound like beautiful trees and both fit the bill as far as size and culture requirements are concerned. I think it's a personal issue thing, but am looking for opinions.

Seems to me that the Hawthorn has more seasons of interest with the exfoliating bark, good fall color and persistent fruit.

What are your two cents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter King Hawthorn vs. Amelanchier 'Autumn Brilliance'

I really don't have experience with 'Winter King' except that we planted two at the school and I can't say that they have done well ... however, who knows what has been done to them? It's at an elementary school.

However, we also planted two 'Autumn Brilliance' and they have done very well - but they are multi-stem and I imagine that if kids were messing with one or the other, they'd pick the single trunk tree.

I will say that if you're interested in them for wildlife (berries) then the Serviceberry is way more popular with birds. It also has very nice fall color and I haven't heard that about hawthorns in general.

o

Thanks esh, I think that the Serviceberry is more available too. I hope I get more replies before I buy!

o

I prefer the serviceberry due to the fall color and bird attraction but that's a personal opinion. Bird song goes under the "asset" category in my book. I'm just doing a new landscape and have 2 serviceberry cultivar and 3 Hawthorn, including winter king, on my list, but the hawthorn is on the "if there is room and I happen to run across one in a nursery" list.

Went shopping this weekend for s. Autumn Brilliance and could not find it anywhere but John Deer Landscaping. Theirs were quite large, $129 each, which is more than I can spend on a single plant considering how much I need. I bought 7 viburnums, more shrubs, two other trees, yada yada that day and haven made a dent in my wish list. Very nice specimens though. I'm going to try a few more places this week, travel further, if I find any I will post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here