Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapleplace_gw

Astilbe

mapleplace
16 years ago

Last year I put a number of astilbe in my shade garden. Due to home renovations and water restrictions I thought most had perished. This week, however, I am seeing many sweet little shoots coming up and am so thrilled! I have read that astilbe are heavy feeders. Can I hurt the tender shoots if I sprinkle a little 10-10-10 around the base of the plant now? I am committed to helping them thrive this year and would appreciate any advice.

Comments (8)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

I would add compost if you have it because they thrive in moisture, and never mind the fert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• birdannelady
    16 years ago

I haven't had good luck with astilbe in Augusta, Ga. I planted several plants from Goodness Grows nursery. They struggled with the heat and drought. Didn't seem to respond well to hose water with the chemicals in it and not enough rain water. They did come back the 2nd year but were worse and died. As a note, Erica Glassener made a comment on her show that astilbe didn't do well in Ga. I haven't been willing to try them again because of the expense and drought and watering restrictions.

• heavenscent
    16 years ago

Mapleplace~ I too am seeing little astibe shoots that I thought had perished. I was thinking of moving mine to a more moist/shady spot(if I can find one). Good luck!

• mapleplace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input. This is only my second spring in Georgia and last year I went a little overboard with the Astilbe! I love the plant so much because it reminds me of my greenthumb grandmother in Connecticut. She always had a garden full of astilbe. I guess that doesn't bode well for me as they really seemed to like the Northeastern climate!
    Oh, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep them moist and cool (with my kids bath water, of course).

• marymaryquite3
    14 years ago

I found your forum after searching for astilbe info and came across this information that help.
    from http://www.27east.com/story_detail.cfm?id=208077&town=&page=2
    "Astilbe can also be used as potted plants indoors as they force easily. Plant some crowns in late summer in 6-inch or larger pots and allow them to establish roots in the cold frame or sink the pots in the garden to the soil level.

The plants must receive about 90 days of sub-40 degree temperatures from November on. After 90 days, bring the pots into a cool indoor spot for a few days (or put in a greenhouse) and then move to a brighter location and begin to water and lightly fertilize. Flower spikes, which make good cuts when half open, will appear in four to eight weeks depending on the variety."

I wonder if the plants can be stored in a cool basement or an extra refrigerator during the late fall and winter. That does sound like a lot of extra trouble but maybe some else with have an easier solution to provide cool temps in the warm temperatures.

• bleedenver
    14 years ago

Hi marymaryquite3,

Trim that... nevermind...

Your link already has the easier solution.

"The plants must receive about 90 days of sub-40 degree temperatures from November on. After 90 days, bring the pots into... "

It just says to leave the astilbe outside after November for about 90 days and this should satisfy the chilling requirement. The wording could be clearer though as it sounds like it must be below 40 degrees F the entire time. Weather.com shows the average nightly low is below 40 degrees from November thru March in Marietta, GA.

I'm used to seeing chilling requirements in terms of winter hours between 32-45 degrees fahrenheit. The following link mentions an actual chilling hours requirement of over 1000 hours for Astilbe:
    http://crops.orc.govt.nz/crop_suitability.php?cropid=3

Brian

• ilikemud_2007
    14 years ago

I've got a variety of Astilbe and haven't had a problem with any of them. I don't remember what they are (I bought them bare root at Costco of all places) I think they've all survived and grown larger each year. I have them on the east side of my house with Hydrangea.

• mamamia_farmer
    14 years ago

I love this plant! I have a couple in pots that I have carried around for years first in TN and now in Ga. I overwinter them by putting them in a protected area (woods or in a ditch or depression) and covering them with leaves.Here in Ga I don't think I did anything other than putting the pot in the woods. They have always come back. Unfortunately they only make a brief appearance in my garden here. They don't seem to like the heat and die back early... so back the pot goes into the woods until next spring.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner