Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrickm

Help me identify these plants

jbrickm
14 years ago

Can someone help me identify what these plants/weeds are?

1. Plant #1
{{gwi:807250}}

2. Plant #2
{{gwi:807252}}

3. Plant #3
{{gwi:807255}}

4. Plant #4
{{gwi:807257}}

Comments (10)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Picture 1 looks like a type of thorny briar (perhaps a Dewberry or other member of the Rubus genus). #2 looks like a baby Loblolly pine. #3 looks like japanese honeysuckle (invasive weed). #4 looks like it might be Florida leucothoe (Agarista populifolia).

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

#1 looks like it could be poison ivy to me, Esh? Is it to early for that to be up?

• vroomp
    14 years ago

I second esh's post although, number four also looks like the suckers produced from a chopped down Black Cherry (Prunus serotina pieceofshitus).

• chezron
    14 years ago

I agree with all. I do think that the photo in question is Lonicera japonica.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I have not seen any poison ivy leafed out yet, ggg. Thankfully, it's a bit too early.

• jbrickm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. Given the varying identifications, how can I know what these plants are for sure? I'm hoping I don't have to pay some person to visit my yard and ID these things...

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Usually the way it works is that people tell you what they think they are and you go off and look at pictures of those things and compare them to what you have (since you have the real thing right in front of you) and you decide if we guessed right or not.

If you think we got it wrong, you can take more pictures or give us other details about why you think we got it wrong.

Hope that helps!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

...and for more official identification (once you have a pretty good idea), you can use a good, scientific plant key like those found on eFloras.org

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

1 looks like poison oak or ivy, or possibly some kind of bramble like blackberry (if thorny, I'd say it's the latter).

2 is a baby pine, I can't call what kind.

3 looks like a gardenia to me if the leaves are smooth. If furry or rough, I would say azalea or closely related.

4 (I think) is carolina jessamine. If it's a vine, then I'd say that's absolutely what it is.

• susaninnorthga
    14 years ago

Number one sure looks like poison ivy to me, the second one is a long needled pine, the third one is an azalea, the fourth one looks like wisteria or maybe honeysuckle.

Sponsored