Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify these plants

Posted by jbrickm 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 11:48

Can someone help me identify what these plants/weeds are?

1. Plant #1

2. Plant #2

3. Plant #3

4. Plant #4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify these plants

Picture 1 looks like a type of thorny briar (perhaps a Dewberry or other member of the Rubus genus). #2 looks like a baby Loblolly pine. #3 looks like japanese honeysuckle (invasive weed). #4 looks like it might be Florida leucothoe (Agarista populifolia).

o

#1 looks like it could be poison ivy to me, Esh? Is it to early for that to be up?

o

I second esh's post although, number four also looks like the suckers produced from a chopped down Black Cherry (Prunus serotina pieceofshitus).

o

I agree with all. I do think that the photo in question is Lonicera japonica.

o

I have not seen any poison ivy leafed out yet, ggg. Thankfully, it's a bit too early.

o

Thanks everyone. Given the varying identifications, how can I know what these plants are for sure? I'm hoping I don't have to pay some person to visit my yard and ID these things...

o

Usually the way it works is that people tell you what they think they are and you go off and look at pictures of those things and compare them to what you have (since you have the real thing right in front of you) and you decide if we guessed right or not.

If you think we got it wrong, you can take more pictures or give us other details about why you think we got it wrong.

Hope that helps!

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 4:06

...and for more official identification (once you have a pretty good idea), you can use a good, scientific plant key like those found on eFloras.org

o

1 looks like poison oak or ivy, or possibly some kind of bramble like blackberry (if thorny, I'd say it's the latter).

2 is a baby pine, I can't call what kind.

3 looks like a gardenia to me if the leaves are smooth. If furry or rough, I would say azalea or closely related.

4 (I think) is carolina jessamine. If it's a vine, then I'd say that's absolutely what it is.

o

Number one sure looks like poison ivy to me, the second one is a long needled pine, the third one is an azalea, the fourth one looks like wisteria or maybe honeysuckle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here