Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I plant my asparagus the wrong way?

Posted by bagsmom 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 12:07

I read the instructions on the package, but now I'm wondering if I did it incorrectly. I read something else later that made me think maybe I goofed.

If any of you grow it, tell me if I did this right....

I made the soil fabulous, then dug trenches 6 - 8" deep. Put the plants in with roots spread, then covered with about 2" of soil. Instructions said to fill in trench as the plants grow.

This would put the crowns of the plants down pretty low.

Something I read later indicated that you make little mounds of dirt WITHIN the trench, spreading the roots down over the mounds, like little teepees. This would have the crowns closer to the ground level.

Did I screw up?

Thanks!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I plant my asparagus the wrong way?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 15:22

Most sources recommend planting in furrows 4" to 6" deep. 8" is deeper than what I've seen recommended. If your soil is light and well draining, you should be fine anyway. If you have heavy clay soil, 8" may be a little deep.

o
Re: Did I plant my asparagus the wrong way?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 15:26

Well, I googled it just to see what some other sources said. Some sources do recommend 8" deep furrows. Here's a pamphlet from the University of Tennessee that recommends 6" to 8". I wouldn't worry about it at all. Sounds like you are in range.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Extension Pamphlet

o
RE: Did I plant my asparagus the wrong way?

Thanks! I was dreading having to dig up ALL those plants!!!!!

I did amend the soil in a big way -- added sand, compost, new garden soil for vegetables, etc. It is nice and fluffy and should have good drainage.

Whew!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here