Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenie_gw

Sand Gnats

eileenie
18 years ago

Does anyone know of a product that works to repel sand gnats? We have tried all sorts of DEET products and nothing seems to work. I'm not referring to the little gnat-fruit fly types that are on houseplants. These little pests show up at all times of the day outside and bite leaving big red itchy welts. I have read some people are allergic to whatever toxin they leave in your skin and that causes the welts. Also that they are attracted more to people who eat a lot of sweets. We are new to southeast Georgia (St. Mary's) and are not enjoying the gorgeous weather this time of year. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• goingsouth
    18 years ago

The only thing that ever worked for me was Off! Skintastic. I had to coat every inch of myself with this including face, ears (inside and out), scalp, and ANY exposed skin. You have to re-apply often. If you rub your skin against something, get wet, or wipe off sweat from exposed skin they will then bite you in that area. The best bet is to go inside when they appear and wait for a good breeze to pick up...then they go away.
    They cause welts on everyone....I HATED these little buggers! I think they are attracted to anything with blood. Not something I miss having moved to Atlanta from that area......I still have 4 or 5 bottles of this spray in my truck from living in south georiga for 6 years....

• jenlar
    18 years ago

Ohh eileenie... I feel your pain! I got covered up by those awful little things on a visit to Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah. they sting when they bite, and turned into quarter-sized welts by the evening! I will try the Off! Skintastic next time we go to that part of the state.

I can only offer a remedy for the bites. My pharmacist (who showed me *her* bites, because *she* had spent the weekend in Savannah, too!!!) recommended Benadryl gel... just a small dot on each bite. If you can keep from scratching for a little while after applying the Benadry then much of the itch and redness will go away.

• agnespuffin
    18 years ago

Avon Skin-So-Soft seems to make you smell in a way that they don't like. For what it's worth, the less you move, the more they seem to leave you along. Don't go digging around in the leaves and bushes in the early morning or late afternoon.

• cindyabs
    18 years ago

A couple of Sundays ago when we had that warm spell, we were out trying to plant and proceeded to get eaten alive by gnats. I went in and washed my arms (which I scratched like crazy) with anti bacterial soap and then applied some of that Burt's Bees Rescue ointment. Son of a gun, if 20 minutes later, the itching was gone and so were the welts!

• rglidew156_aol_com
    13 years ago

We also have a sand gnat problem in our area. After reading some postings on this site and one other I have just one question:

How long does their mating and egg producing season last once it starts in the spring? I am assuming the females will stop biting once they are through this cycle.

Thanks for any replies.
    Truvella

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor