Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaangl

Peonies

gaangl
15 years ago

I bought a collection of six bulbs from a reputable mail order place and planted them in the fall and so far it looks like only two of them have sprouted and are growing. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with peonies in the Cobb/Paulding areas, or do you think that maybe it's just to early yet. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

When you say Cobb, are you referring to north Atlanta? If so, I can tell you that I live about 45 minutes NW of there (between bartow and cherokee county), and can honestly tell you that they should do well for you. My peonies have put up with all sorts of abuse and have done well.

They are all growing right now. In the lead are the crinkled white, followed by the mammoth rose, ended with the sarah bernhardt. They have been very easy for me to grow. Just make sure you don't let water sit on them, or red eye buds could detatch from the root resulting in fewer flowers.

It does seem like they're growing sooner this year, but i'm sure they'll flower. (Heck, if my lilac is about to open its flowers, then I'm sure the peonies will bloom.)

I hope they grow beautifully for many years to come!

• aqrose
    15 years ago

You're growing a lilac? That's great to read. I've never tried to grow one since I'd always heard they did poorly in our area. Maybe I should try one... :)
    My peonies are just now sending up shoots.

• tulipsorbust
    15 years ago

You may not see above-ground growth from your peonies yet, especially if you have them under mulch. I have at least 3 varieties, and 2 have yet to poke their noses up more than 1 inch. Don't worry yet.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

I pulled my mulch to the side and I have some light green sprouts to mine.
    I have 7 of them but they are not identified. I hope that once they bloom this year, some of you will be able to help me identify which ones are which.

They were here from the previous gardener and that first year the blooms were all over the plants and I couldn't get my hands around them they were so big. Each year since then they have done less and less well.

I'm thinking because they aren't getting enough sun. Am I close?

Dora

• young-gardener
    15 years ago

Most of mine are up, but I'm still waiting on two. I'm in Coweta.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

Aqrose,
    I successfully grow 3 lilacs in my garden. Even though there is not much sun, they still bloom and smell amazing! They would have grown faster and more abundant up north, but being here down south I am grateful for what they can offer me. Lilacs remind me of my grandmother and her magnificent garden which I really began to appreciate when became a gardener myself.
    ~Natalie

Sponsored