Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Evergreen Vines that Won't Kill Everything?

Posted by penguin_tulip Zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 13:22

Ok... this may be a long shot, but I was wondering if there is an evergreen vine/ivy that will cover a fence - chicken wire... preferably a dark green variety... but something that I can add some climbing flowers to add some color in certain seasons?

I've been looking to no avail. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Evergreen Vines that Won't Kill Everything?

Could you try the Clematis Armandii and put something like a morning glory on it? You'll need an equally fast grower to duke it out, but I have the armandii. I also have armandii with a vigorous climbing rose. No problems with either, except they both bloom in spring so I add moon vines and morning glories to the mix.

o

My neighbor and I both have Confederate Jasmine. It has been evergreen for us. One winter we had some wind and cold damage, but I just cut off the brown parts and it kept going strong. The white flowers are pretty and the smell is fabulous. It is a very pretty vine. Mine is 12 years old and still gorgeous.

My jasmine climbs up and around our gaslight in front. My neighbor's is covering the picket fence in their front yard. You almost can't even see the fence!

o

Two native evergreen vines:

Carolina Jessamine: Gelsemium sempervirens
Crossvine: Bignonia capreolata

o

A third native evergreen, or semi-evergreen, flowering vine:

_Lonicera sempervirens_, Woodbine

This is a truly beautiful native vine that blooms during azalea season. This Southeastern woodland native produces a profusion of red, funnel-form flowers; and it is a gentle climber. There are also named cultivars, one being _Lonicera sempervirens_ 'John Clayton,' which produces flowers of a clear, pleasing shade of yellow. _Lonicera sempervirens_ is an exceptionally fine addition to one's landscape and is available from high quality mail-order nurseries, such as ForestFarm, which lists several cultivars in its online and print catalogs, and our over-priced Southeastern plant vendor--Wayside Gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here