Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandieluck

Lush Garden Dreams In A Sterile Master Community

mandieluck
12 years ago

I have moved into a home in S. Fulton county which offers a great tree buffer and nothing more. My home is situated on a blank (full sun) carpet of grass which hides the ever detested ROCK HARD Georgia clay. To date, the only thing inviting about my back lawn is the pergula, which is being built as we speak. I will have a couple of small trees planted as soon as the privacy fence goes up but I am in desparate need of any (and ALL) advice on turning this sterile space into the oasis of my dreams where I can throw myself onto a hammock, invite a couple dozen people over for lawn parties or just enjoy the birds, bees and butterflies.

I have four o'clocks, sedum and day lillies growing in containers at the moment but that is a far cry from the sea of texture and color I dream of... HELP!!!!

Comments (4)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

If you want to enjoy the birds, bees and butterflies then put some effort into incorporating some native plants as part of your design.

And remember if you want a sea of texture and color, then that equals less lawn and more shrubs, perennials and especially annuals. And when you choose shrubs then consider shrubs that flower in both spring and summer so that you have more year round color. Then consider shrubs that have good fall color for that third season. For the fourth season, mix a few evergreen shrubs as well.

How is the moisture level overall? That needs to be consider. Georgia clay is actually very moisture retentive when properly mulched to help it from escaping in the top layer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Native Plant Society

• mairenn
    12 years ago

think about how you're visualizing it, and break it down into steps.
    1. hardscape has to go in first, like the pergola and fence. what other permanent features?
    2. trees next is right. look to see where else you are going to want shade, or fruit, or flowers. they need to go in before any other plantings.
    3. now you can look at the shapes and decide where to put shrubs for the middle layer, based on where the shade is going to fall, where you want to be able to walk and move around, and where you want color and shape.
    THEN you build beds and enrich the soil for perennials and annuals.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Ever thought of hiring the professional services of a landscape architect?

• mandieluck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much esh_ga and mairenn for all the helpful hints. The pergola is moving along nicely and I have already placed a couple of smaller beds on opposite sides of it (since they have completed the pouring of the concrete). I plan to use one as an herb garden and the other... perhaps for cuttings for the house throughout the year.

I have been researching climbing roses with plans to use roses as my climbing feature against and up the pergola beams.

I will begin planning out selection and placement of a few trees as well as a variety of shrubs this weekend, paying attention to their growth pattern and color/texture changes throughout the seasons.

Thank you again! I am excited at the promise of less lawn and more garden space in the future.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting