Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shot_gw

spring planting

shot
15 years ago

Well folks, next weekend if the Good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, am going to let son #1 do my planting. Got to give him a crash course in driving my tractor and planting. He is a computer geek that lives in Symna, Georgia, but has volunteered his time.

A friend of mine knows all about planting and such, but hey... the #1 son has to start somewhere.

Wish me luck!

Shot

Comments (8)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Can't start them too early! I was taught to operate a tractor at 8 years of age. A small one, Ford-Ferguson, but wasn't allowed to pull a disc-harrow until age 12, for safety reasons! By then, I could handle the huge A-C, JD & Farmall's.
    Stock up on ulcer medication and turn him loose!
    Good luck and hope you have a bumper crop!
    Rb

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Best of luck to you Shot. Free labor and time with family - you can't beat that! I can't wait to see pics of your projects this year. Nikki

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Great! Glad to see you posting and glad to hear the garden will be growing again this year.

Let us know how it goes - maybe there will be some funny stories about his first experience!

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Good to see you on here, Shot! Can't wait to hear about your son's first experience with the tractor.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

I had to laugh with Rb's post. My FIL wants to teach my 7 year old how to drive the tractor and I'm a wreck and my FIL said to me, "Just because you can't operate a tractor at 44 doesn't mean that he can't operate one at 7 because the difference is that he doensn't have his negativity and fear in the way and he has a great teacher!"

My 7 yo has been riding a huge tractor in his Poppa's lap (I couldn't tell you what kind except that it has Ford written on the side of the engine) since he was old enough to sit up straight. Since we don't live near where that garden area is anymore, there's not that much opportunity to ride/till. I miss the garden area but not living there.

Dora

• cozy
    15 years ago

Been looking for an update Shot! How did it go Mate? You planted ... and in the right place ;)

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi there

Lets get back to the subject; What are you planning to plant in the first place? Of course what I mean is gardening type of things not farming stuff.

My lettuces, onions, garlics, peas, potatoes,carrots,some herbs and squashes are already planted and growing. I started from seeds and bulbs, nothing from Home Depot. My lettuce and onions are almost ready for salad bowl. Cucumberss and tomatoes are coming soon to the patch.
    I do not have a greenhouse, all I have is a 48" by 36" box with pexy glass top.

Great to join the site and I look forward to learning and sharing ideas.
    Happy Spring.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I'm pulling this up, because there's been no word from Shot, since he announced the spring planting adventure.
    Hope everything is going well for him and he's just too busy to stop and fill us in.
    All the best to you and your family, Shot! Write when you can.
    Rb

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County