Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleedenver

Opalka or San Marzano tomato?

bleedenver
14 years ago

Anyone know where to get Opalka or San Marzano tomato plants around ATL area?

Comments (9)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Holy Comforter will have San Marzano in May.

• bleedenver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ggg,

I looked up Holy Comforter and it looks like they are a church in the middle of Atlanta. I was hoping to get these planted in the next couple of weeks though.

I did some other searches and it found a place (the tasteful garden) a couple of hours away just on the Alabama side of the border. Has anyone here gotten things from there or ordered online? I'll probably visit there next Saturday if there isn't someplace closer.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yes, Holy C. is pretty much in downtown. Sorry, when you said near ATL I didn't think you'd mean a couple of hours away in Alabama :)
    It is still very early for tomatoes! Gotta watch out for that frost (if it comes again!!)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I have started SAN MARZANO from seeds. I am not in hurry, because I have a ferw early ones are ready to be planted,
    that include EARLY GIRL, GRAPE, ROMA and RUTGERS.

yes, we have to watch for that frost. With that in mind, and with the help
    of extended forecast, we will know with better than 90% certainty in about a week or so if there will be one.
    ACCUWEATHER says get ready for a warm sunny April around here. I am banking on it.
    Already night lows are climin over 40f, even higher. That is good news for tomatoes.

• susancol
    14 years ago

Last year I found some heirloom plants at Autumn Hill Nursery in South Cherokee Co., you can phone them to see what they have. And also a better than average selection of heirlooms at the Home Depot on Crossville Hwy in Roswell.

This year I ordered plants from Darryl at Selected Plants.
    www.selectedplants.com

If you don't mind mail order, he'll have what you want and more. He's in Alabama, though, so if you're willing to make that drive...

Best of Luck,
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Hill Nursery

• bleedenver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone,

I lived in Denver and it's short growing season for a few years so got used to impatiently waiting for the last frost date and planting as soon as possible.

The weather forecast looks great for the next week and I can always cover stuff if there is a late frost.

I emailed Autumn Hill to see if they have either tomato plant. It will definately be a much shorter drive than going to Alabama.

Thanks, Brian

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Remember, planting tomatoes super early will not get them ahead. It can get them farther behind. They like good sun-warmed soil. We don't have that. Many good, reputable places will not have tomatoes in stock for a week or two. They want the last frost date to pass so that you will have success and a great tomato season! Our season is very very long here, and you will have so much opportunity to eat that juicy goodness. I promise!!!!

• bleedenver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ggg,

I'm using 27 gallon homemade earthbox type containers with black plastic mulch which helps raise the soil temperatures a bit quicker than in ground planting in early season.

It would be good if I was patient enough to do a comparison one year to see the difference of later planting dates though.

Temperatures in the 70's and 80's for the upcoming week means I won't be patient enough this year. :) When do you normally plant your tomatoes?

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

With warm weather forecast for the next 7 days, the ground should warm up fast.
    Long range forecast is also VERY favorable for April in our region as well.
    Tonight I left one of my poted tomatoe plants outside the cold frame
    just to experiment. I am willing to sacrifice a plant for the sake of an experiment.
    I am also getting ready to direct sow some cucurbita and beans.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES