Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
discolored gardenias

Posted by esthermgr (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 14:14

My otherwise thriving August Beauty gardenias have suddenly gotten discolored leaves that looks almost like scorching. One plant is much more affected, and the problem seems to have gotten worse since I noticed it a few weeks ago.

Walter Reeves says that this might be frost damage. Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: discolored gardenias

does it look anything like this? (click me)

o

Is it the leaves on the tips of the branches? If the gardenia put out new foliage right before we got those brief below freezing temps, then I'd say it is frost damage.

o

Mine look a bit off too. A bit dull and more olive than evergreen. It did happen right around the time we had the freeze.

o

Satellitehead, thanks for the pic. But it's not chlorosis looking like that. It's more brown and crinkly, almost like if it had been burned. Except it's not just the youngest growth. It's more all the leaves on certain parts of the plant. Some leaves are only burnt looking near the edges or tips.

o

see Walter Reeves article from today's email. It's just a normal early Spring behavior.

http://www.walterreeves.com/qa_display.phtml?qaID=229

Bill

o

Yeah don't make the mistake most people do and take a perfectly normal plant and kill it with kindness trying to "fix" it. It should be fine. And remember evergreen does not mean "always green." It doesn't keep all the same leaves it's entire life. Just like pines drop needles, gardenias will drop leaves. So when some of the leaves ultimately fall off don't let that freak you out either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here