Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing a garden site- need opinions

Posted by joycejoann Ga (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 15:44

I grew up in Montana, and lived in Iowa the last few years. Gardening is going to be so different here! I plan to grow vegetables in raised beds. But I can't decide where to put them.
Instead of trying to describe my property in full detail, I thought I'd just give you my address to take a look on google maps satellite image.
20 Hickory Ct, Oxford, ga 30054

Please tell me what area you would plant a garden.

We just moved in, so I'm planning on just composting this year, and getting the beds built in the winter, but I'm still antsy to decide.

Of course, I can't get away with a garden in the front yard, but it might be possible on the right side of the house, by the row of trees. But to access it, I'd have to walk all the way around the house. The back yard is partly shaded, and I have no idea where would be good. Also, our neighborhood is very rocky, with enormous rocks sticking up through people's lawns. Should I be looking for a spot without big slabs of rock 6 in. deep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing a garden site- need opinions

I'd go for the northeast side of the driveway - easy access, easy to keep an eye on, etc. Since you are doing raised beds, rocks shouldn't be a big issue.

o

link

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 Hickory Ct, Oxford, ga 30054

o

Brandon7 has a very good point, you need the beds near the house for watering, easy access, reminders to harvest etc.
I can't quite tell what time of day that photo is taken, it looks like perhaps about 1:30 pm (or say, 11 am). Shade patterns make a big difference, as to siting a garden, and I can see two possible shade problems there.
The other is critters. Large trees attract critters that like your garden. It's farther away, but the part of your yard that is completely open and sunny may be squirrel proof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here