Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Native Plant Sale

natalie4b
13 years ago

I am planning on going to Chattahoochee Nature Center's Annual Native Plant Sale on April 8th. This will be my first time. Has anyone of you guys ever been? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (12)

• susancol
    13 years ago

I haven't been to that one, but I have been to the Native Plant sale down in mid-town. My suggestion, buy it when you see it. The selections are often somewhat limited, and when we went, I wanted to see what everyone had and then circle back and buy my favorites. Bad idea. By the time I circled back, the vendors were almost completely sold out.

Also, do some homework, know what you want and where you will put it that it will do well. Otherwise you'll find yourself coming home with plants that just won't work for you, even if they did look nice at the sale! I found that a lot of the plants there wanted either a wet bog or deep forest environment. If you have a lawn of green grass and no trees, then you won't find as much. But you're sure to find something!

Enjoy!
    Susan

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I have been to Chattahoochee's sales many times. They have beautiful plants. They do have Master Gardeners there to help you and a whole stack of reference books so that if you want to look up a plant's habitat, you can do that right there.

Expect them to have a mix of perennials (sun and shade), shrubs and small trees.

And if anyone misses that one, you are welcome to come to the Georgia Native Plant Society's annual sale on Saturday April 30 in Marietta. It is a bigger sale and will include some plants that were rescued from construction sites in metro Atlanta.

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS sale

• frannyflowers
    13 years ago

I've been to Chattahoochee's several times too. I've picked up several nice plants.

Esh, where is the plant sale in Marietta on the 30th? I'd like to go to that one too. Some women can't pass a shoe store without stopping... I'm that way with garden centers and plant sales. :)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

fran, it will be at McFarlane Nature Park from 10 am to 2 pm.

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Anyone have the times for the Chattahoochee sale? I'd love to hit the GNPS one in Marietta, but it's pretty far for me.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pam, the Chattahoochee event listed as 9am - 5pm Fri-Sat.

Esh, I'd love to come to Marietta's sale - like Frannyflowers, never miss a garden center :).

Thank you all for your responses. Enjoy spring!

~Natalie

• frannyflowers
    13 years ago

Thanks Esh!

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I want to go to both, I would meet anyone and go together. I have a huge area to fill and really need to get aquainted with the natives, it would be a great opportunity. I have been hanging out at the garden centers alot trying to find the plants I have in mind, and I hate to choose the wrong ones. Esh- could you send me to the info you gave me last year, so I can get some of the trees we talked about?

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Hi OG, the plant I remember specifically talking about was tuliptree, Liriodendron tulipifera.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

I have that one lined out already,$25 for a good sized one how can I figure any problems with the septic field, it's not really related to the poplar, does it have the same water sucking/seeking habit? Aren't there more natives that would work? And what do you know of these Zelkovas?http://rslandscapedesign.blogspot.com/search/label/Zelkova

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about Zelkovas.

Tell me what you are looking for in a tree and then I can offer some suggestions. Obviously you need things that can work in full sun, I think.

Are you saying you think that tuliptree would be a problem for the septic field? I don't think it is true of this plant - yes, not related to "poplar" at all.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

Yes full sun, I am totally exposed on every side, I am starting from 0, scratch, completely bare landscape, new double retaining wall(6'x60' on top for mixed, 5'x68' mostly veggie on the lower level) , for my vegetable/any edibles garden/ mixed border, bachk yard. So I need shade trees, screening, wind breaks, privacy hedges, large evergreens, shrubs( evergreen, fruiting, flowering). specimens, etc. It's a MAJOR project, nothing like I have ever done, we are serious DIYers, this was contracted, but the plants are still my responsibility. I don't feel as lost, but stil not confident, because I don't know the plants here, and keep finding new ones. I 'll send you my list of candidates later to get feel, that will save back tracking with your suggestion. Feed back and other suggestions will work better. I posted about New English/Mediterranian garden I gotta get going now.