Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrown59

Willis Orchards Took My Money

jbrown59
12 years ago

Last year I ordered 20 thornless blackberry plants, but Willis Orchards sent me raspberry plants, thorny plants, not what I wanted at all! Their telephone operator was rude and impossible to deal with since they do not offer refunds, but they promised to reship my order- which never happened. I wish I had looked at their online complaints before ordering from them, noting how many negative dealings they have. Upon further online investigation I found the owner has put up Willis Orchards for sale. And I also found an article in the Moultrie Observer

( http://moultrieobserver.com/local/x1456433358/Employee-charged-in-forgeries ) where one of Willis Orchards employees, Garrett Adkins (whose name was on my receipt) was arrested for forging Willis Orchard checks to himself in the amount of $48,000 at their plant nursery in Berlin. I want my money back for the wrong plants they sent me! This place sounds crooked!

Comments (4)

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Excuse me, jbrown59; but it sounds as though you have your ownself to blame for patronizing a known affiliate of the infamous Nursery at Ty Ty. A word to the wise: _Caveat emptor_.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

A known affiliate of TyTy? Are you sure about that? Actually, they are known competitors! And, the owner of TyTy has tried a number of times to smear Willis Orchards. When I read the original post in this thread, the STRONG possibility that this was yet another attempt, by him, immediately came to mind. I have no proof that that is the case, but the post sure fits the pattern of many such posts that were introduced by TyTy's owner in the past. I would definitely approach Willis with a bit of caution, but would much rather buy from Willis than attempt a purchase from TyTy (I'm not convinced actually purchasing from TyTy is even possible...you send them money but very rarely get live plants.)

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear brandon 7 7 TN,
    Thank you for pointing out the error in my comment about Willis Orchards and Ty Ty Nursery. My mind is obviously failing. I mistakenly relied on recollections from an old Gardenweb thread on this topic, without first rereading that thread for verification of my comment. I am sorry for my mistake.

I just took a couple of minutes to look at the Willis Orchards Website. To my way of thinking, it is very suspicious looking, with a subtle appeal to the horticulturally naive. _Caveat emptor_.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Yep, I totally agree with that warning. Although some of what people may see about Willis is bogus, I think many complaints are totally genuine. Some of the complaints on the Garden Watchdog, for instance, are definitely genuine and Willis hasn't even responded to the complaints.

When Willis was starting out, the owner seemed to be very interested in his reputation. I actually even felt a little sorry for him at first. But, if he still cared, I don't think there's any way his ratings would be as bad as they are now. At least as long as we are aware of Garden Watchdog, we can generally steer clear of poorer quality nurseries without too much trouble. Unfortunately, some people still don't know that they need to check before sending in their money.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County