Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_savannah

Ground Orchids - Are they really hardy in Zone 8b?

love_savannah
14 years ago

Last summer I purchased some ground orchids for my mother at Home Depot. Ground Orchid was all that was on the tag, so, I planted them in the ground. I got them at 50% off which always excites me.

They were really pretty and and continued to have the little orchid-like blooms in a lavender color. Although the blooms were very small, it was my hope that the blooms would get bigger after the plant was more established and grew larger.

Over the winter I had the time to do a little reading on ground orchids. I still don't know if they're supposed to be potted plants or in-the-ground plants.

Has anybody in Zone 8b or lower, planted these in-ground with any success? If so, would you share a little info on soil type and sun exposure for them. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

If you have the one known as Chinese Ground Orchid, Bletilla striata, then it would be hardy for you, temperature wise.

On the other hand, the Philippine Ground Orchid, Spathoglottis plicata, is strictly a tropical plant and it's doubtful if it would survive at temperatures below freezing.

I grow Bletilla striata at several locations in my gar'den. with various amounts of sunlight and shade. Requires well drained soil or faces the danger of bulb rot. Voles love them and as a consequence, they need protection from the critters! If left undisturbed, they can form fairly large colonies in just a few years.

I have heard that Spathoglottis plicata can be a very demanding plant. requiring high humidity and constant attention to supplying moisture.

IMO, I think it is shameful and a sign of care-less management, that HD and other plant retailers, would purchase from a supplier that don't provide the Botanical binomial name, Hardiness and cultural information on their tags or pots.

• love_savannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks, Ladywindsurfer. I checked out some pictures on the web of both plants. I believe that we have Chinese Ground Orchid, Bletilla striata. Yes! We'll be looking forward to a growing colony and larger blooms this year. I killed all of my indoor orchids, perhaps I'll have better luck with these.

IMO, I think it is shameful and a sign of care-less management, that HD and other plant retailers, would purchase from a supplier that don't provide the Botanical binomial name, Hardiness and cultural information on their tags or pots.color>

I couldn't agree with you more. In the future, if it doesn't have a tag, I'm not bringing it home.

I appreciate the information. Thanks again!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

In the future, if it doesn't have a tag, I'm not bringing it home.

Well, let's also hope that even when it HAS a tag, that the tag is RIGHT!!

• love_savannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hear you, Esh. You can't always go by the tag.

Two years ago one of my Cayenne pepper plants turned out to be a Habanero. I love spicy but prefer not to grow anything that requires wearing gloves to handle. Those things are just too hot!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living