Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Are you planting annuals yet?

The 15 day forecast for my area is above freezing and no lower than 40 degrees. I am so tempted to put out some annuals that I bought on sale at Home Depot last week.

April 15 is the magic date for my area...so what are you doing?

Comments (9)

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Happy gardening

I take a chance and start early. I have already planted some cool crops and they are doing fine (lettuce, onions, peas, parsly, chives)
    I have also planted some cucumbers, squash, gourds which are
    just out of the ground. The cucumbers, I started them in a green box. I have some peppes in the boxe that I will plant next week.
    I know that planting early, a week or two, when the weather is cool is not going to make much difference , but then I am impatient. Call it psychological factor.
    If we get a frost (30F or below) I can cover some of them at night. but 15 day Accuweather forecast does not show anything like that yet.
    This year I am growing everything from seeds and not buying anything from Home Depot or elsewhere. That is why I made that 36" by 48" box with pexy glass top. It cost me about 50 bucks plus lots of labor of love
    So my advice to you and others is; Go ahead and plant, take a risk. Nowadays with 15 days weather forecast, you are positioned to take corrective actions. that is, cover your plants at night if temperatures dip below freezing.

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Found some Polyanthus Primroses on sale at half price about a week ago. They only had a few flats left and many of the plants were in terrible shape. I found enough that were in reasonably good shape, to fill a flat and bring home.
    Amazing what a little TLC can do for a plant! Outdoors, in a shady location, warm temperatures and adequate moisture, they have come alive and are blooming their little heads off!
    I will wait until after April 15 or so to find a permanent location outdoors, in case I need to bring inside for protection.

Forecast for my area indicates possibility of some temperatures in the mid-30's during the next 2 weeks.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

With all this rain it looks like I won't be able to plant until Monday anyway.
    But I will take that chance then!
    I don't why I get so impatient but seeing everything in the stores has a lot to do with it.
    I've never planted primrose but maybe I should add those to my list to plant eventually. I try new things each year.

• vicki7
    15 years ago

Bumblebeez, it's kinda like me on a diet. I do ok but when I see good food, I want it! If I go by Lowe's or Pike's and see all those bright, beautiful annuals, I've gotta have 'em, even though I SHOULD wait till mid-April. I have managed to hold off so far. When all this rain ends, and it is warm and sunny again, I may be bringing home some wave petunias and impatiens, who knows. The times when I have planted too early, I usually end up regretting it when I have to get out and cover everything up for a freeze.
    Vicki

• chihuahua6
    15 years ago

If they're selling the annuals now they most likely can survive a light frost. I started planting annuals from Home Depot in February. I had snapdragons, pansies and Dianthus and they have been blooming ever since. They survived several nights in the mid 20s with no damage what so ever.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those annuals yes! I plant tons of pansies each fall and the dianthus is about to bloom.

But I have lost the tops of begonais because I couldn't wait...and they were covered up.
    I did learn from someone here that snapdragons need to be planted early in the fall to set buds then they will bloom all winter.

• chihuahua6
    15 years ago

Hmmmm they just started selling begonias recently. They weren't available when it was still cold here.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi folks

Spring is in full force in my area (Zone 7.5-8?).
    After several days of rain, sun is showing up today.
    This is Spring; Rain, breez, some sun , some clouds,
    chilly nights. Look at the nature around us, the vegetation is moving, growing blooming and loving it.
    I think plants are like humans, in a way; They need to go
    through some hardship and try to cope with it, adapt to it to some extent. This way , they will appreciate clement conditions later. I look at my cucumbers, squash. They are
    hanging in there and starting to grow true leaves now.
    Onions, lettuce, parsley, garligs, thyme, sage, chives and lemon balm are having a feast in the gaden.
    The birds are gathering raw material for their nests and mating. Even bumble bees are out there joining the chorus.
    And the sqruills never stop. I am ready to join the crowd.

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Couldn't resist the temptation, of all those Annuals in bloom that I saw at a garden center on Sunday!
    Went there to purchase a few plants to donate to a garden club fundraising event that is coming up, since I no longer grow from seed. They had Mandevilla's in glorious colors, with some blooms and many buds. I loaded several on the wagon, along with Hostas, Ferns, a couple of closeout priced Camellias and Harlequin Blue Flag Iris and the last Indian Hawthorn they had left, priced for quick movement.
    I will donate some of the Mandevilla's, but the rest are going in the garden, on some homemade wire trellises.
    Three of the 4 climate prediction websites I checked, indicates the lowest temperature will be 40°F during the next 2 weeks, so I have decided to take a chance and plant them.
    The Pansies look rather sad, after being beat up by the rain, but they will revive within a few days. I hate to pull them out now, because this is the first year in a long time, that they have performed really well. Maybe, it's because I found a new supplier?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!