Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieconsumer

Where can I buy onion sets?

connieconsumer
15 years ago

I cannot find onion sets this year like I have in years past, where there's like 50+ starter onions bunched together. Seems like they've put them in those 6 packs so they can charge more! Anyone know where I could find these? Lowe's, HD and Wal-Mart don't have them nor Ace Hardware.

Comments (7)

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

hi,
    I am a newbi here and this is my first post.
    About onion sets:
    Have you checked Home Depot and/or Lowes garden ceners?

I got mine around x-mas from pikes. they had a clearance on bulbs, also onion sets. Of course these were real onions,
    size of a pecan, not traditional sets with stem.
    I planted them in January and now they are like good size
    scalions. I Also bought some red/pearl onions from farmers
    maket. but it was very expensive. I bought them because I wanted to have some red onions too. So you may try all gargen centers and asked them if they have onion sets.
    On the package of the ones from Pikes it said PLANT IN SPRING. But I planted them in January. Because I know that
    onions, garlics can survive below freezing temperatures and when they get mild winter days, they will grow, and sure enough they did.
    I also planted some garlics last fall (sept or oct) they grew then and stayed in the garden all winter and still going. Before the weather heats up in GA, (mid june? or later) I will harvest them. Onions family don,t like hot weather. That is why, in GA you sould plant them from early fall on and let them overwinter.
    Although you can plant onions right now too, but probably all you get will be scalions, which is also good for cooking and salads etc.
    Good luck.
    happy spring.

• danita
    15 years ago

The Lowe's in Austell has the onion plant bundles. I just saw them last week. They were displayed in wood boxes on the Bonnie's vegetable plant rack.

• ilikemud_2007
    15 years ago

Ace in Buford and Braselton have them.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

HD in Roswell had them, and also Lowes in Alpharetta.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I got red onion sets at our walmart here 80 to a pack for $1.50 They also had some type of white onion but I didnt purchase those. last time I was there (a few weeks ago) they still had some. I'm in middle GA.

• buford
    15 years ago

I saw them in HD a few weeks ago. Not sure if they are still there or not.

• connieconsumer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to one and all who responded. As of yesterday they have them at Lowe's in Alpharetta. Guess I was a tad eager to get them in the ground!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services