Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Spring Trade?

Kathy Bochonko
15 years ago

So is there going to be a spring trade this year? I mentioned that if no one else offeres a more suitaable location we could do it at my place, however I live in Cumming off of Hwy 400 at exit 13 and that is not real convenient to anyone coming in on 75 or 85, so perhaps someone has a better option.

Comments (35)

• vnginger
    15 years ago

I am ok with Cumming... what weekend were you thinking, kathy?

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy
    Glad to see you back on the board.
    Cumming is fine by me too.
    Let us know which weekend works best for you.

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Cumming is far far away, but I can probably swing it.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could do April 18th or May 2nd or 9th. I would prefer the May 2nd date but the others would work as well. Anyone else interested?

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

April would be better for me.

• pam_3
    15 years ago

The zoo atl plant sale is May 2. :)

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I spoke too soon and upon further reflection and discussion with my husband he thinks it won't work. Too many things going on. He thinks I am nuts to try and squeeze it in and since so far only 3 people seem intersted in coming out this way maybe we should try and figure something else out. Although if any of the 3 of you are interested in coming out some day you are welcome.

I have a huge area that I have to redo as the weeds have completely taken over and I think I need to keep it an area with only woody plants that I can mulch heavily in between so I have tons of sedum and thymes other ground covers I need to find new homes for.

Pam your hellebores are gorgeous right now. And I am getting lots of little babies so in a couple of years when you are ready I'll have some for you.

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

sorry to hear that you can't host this year. I guess I could if anyone is interested. I'm in Sandy Springs.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to see your yard Barbara so count me in if I can make it. (I am doing a garage sale that last weekend of April.)

• karma4111
    15 years ago

Since I am a newbie, could you explain to me how the spring trade works? I live in the Newnan area.

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Would love to go to Barbara's again. I think you're pretty convenient to the city/interstates.

Thanks for thinking of me, Kathy.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karma4111 (and anyone else who's interested)-- trades work in a couple of different ways. There are prearranged trades and just general trades. Prearranged trades are where you make arrangements with someone ahead of time. The general trades are where you bring your extras and so does eveyone else and you just take home what you want. We ask people to intiitally not take more than they bring, but it usually winds up that some people have lots to bring and don't take a lot of the general trade stuff so you tend to go home with way more than you bring your first few trades. Often people bring the smae things year after year because that is what they have a surplus of so the regular traders no longer need that item. (does that make sense?) Some peoeple start items from seed and bring the extra seedlings, which is a good thing for new gardeners to do to have things to trade. Prearranged trades usually start happening once we have a date and location set. At that point the host of the trade usually opens a thread on the "exchanges" page of this forum. You can look that over for some examples from trades in the past and you will see it gets rather crazy at times. These trades are wonderful things both for aquiring plants and meeting some of the faces behind the names.

• turkeytaker
    15 years ago

I'd love to come to a spring trade. I've got too much health stuff going on to be able to whip this place into shape and host, unfortunately. I'm flexible on dates. :)

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

So, lets talk dates! April, 18, 25 or May 16, or 23.

• danita
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I just thought I'd mention that the "other" garden website's spring trade is scheduled for April 25th. There are several people who are active on both sites that might want to attend both trades.

Danita :)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

There's another garden website?

Sandy Springs is doable for me. April 25th is not good - Earth Day activities are already scheduled. May is nice.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I vote for May 16th. My 2nd choice would be April 18th.

• pam_3
    15 years ago

May 16th will probably work for me, too. My son's third bday is on the 17th, but his lame grandparents (my parents) scheduled a trip for that weekend. i'm pretty much open for any date, except May 2 (zoo plant sale is that day.)

• DianeGA
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in coming.

I was thinking either April date, just because it'll start getting hot & better to get the plants in the ground as early as possible to get established, what with watering restrictions & all that.

• tulipsorbust
    15 years ago

I vote April, or early May. I haven't been to a trade in at least 5 yrs (I went to one) but I've got stuff to trade and more knowledge now to share.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

I've never been to trade, and really looking forward to one!
    What are the requirements for hosting one?
    ~Natalie

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

May 16 would be best for me, is that OK with everyone?

• tulips_or_bust
    15 years ago

May 16 works for me, thanks.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I can do that. I'll start potting some stuff up. Natives only, of course!

• sharon_zone7
    15 years ago

Could I please get the name of the other garden website? I won't be able to make a trade on May 16... probably could in April.

Thanks!
    sharon

• janen
    15 years ago

I would love to go this year, and have never been to one. The 16th sounds good to me. What is the procedure? Do we just pot up some things to bring? I have some seeds also that I collected in the fall. Do we post a list of what we have?

• hennalisa
    15 years ago

I would love to come to a trade, at least to share information if not plants. I'm totally new to gardening and just moved to GA with my infant and husband. We bought a house and now I want to plant an edible garden for our family to enjoy together. :) We live near Sandy Springs, so I could definitely attend if it is held there.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

If I can convince Westender to go, then I can make it. She has the wheels.
    I have the plants to trade!!

• margarita10
    15 years ago

Hi Barbara,

I also live in Sandy Springs and have never been to a plant swap.

May 16 is perfect I will just be returning from visiting my Mom in NJ.

Thanks,

Margarita10

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

OK, Looks like May 16th, and I look forward to seeing you all. We should transfer this thread to the exchanges forum with a description on how things work.

• vroomp
    15 years ago

Dave's Garden is the 'Other" website.
    http://davesgarden.com/ They also have a Georgia forum and a lot of active members. I was a member there for years until I found they were compiling pictures and information for themselves to be used at a future date, perhaps for a gardening book or encyclopedia of gardening. They have an extensive plants database complete with color combinations by zone.

May sounds like a good deal for me. That gives me time to thin some plants and pot up some seedlings. I remember where Barbara lives since, I grew up around the corner from her house.

• janen
    15 years ago

bump - see more on Exchanges

• frannyflowers
    15 years ago

Hi, I've never been to exchange but it sounds like fun. I'd like to join in.

Not sure how I find where this thread has moved to though. Can someone post a link or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Franny

• turkeytaker
    15 years ago

Franny, check out the link below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade Link

• frannyflowers
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions