Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Who sells a variety of fruit trees?

frankielynnsie
12 years ago

Does anyone know where in Atlanta and outskirts you can buy fruit trees. I am looking for Honey Crisp Apple trees in particular. I have found them on line but want to 'pick' it out myself.

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

From what I've seen you can usually get a FAR better deal through mail-order. Most of the local sources (especially big-box stores) will offer overgrown, pot-bound junk. Some may not even specify which rootstock was used! You might get lucky and find the exception, but mail-ordering smaller trees directly from reputable growers is without a doubt the way to go in my opinion. Many great sources can be found at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for Fruit Trees and Plants

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Buck Jones might have them or be able to order them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Jones

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Johnson's has a great selection, they are in Elijay and shopping with them makes a wonderful day trip.
    Garden*Hood carries a selection of fruit trees at various times of the year, and Farmer D's regularly has fruit trees, most often those from Johnson's nursery. Isons is another option. Mail order can be much more expensive because of postage. Johnson's does indeed usually have honeycrisp and they carry it on the appropriate root stocks - they will have it as a low spray option on semi-dwarf stock and as a spray option on dwarf.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

A trip to Johnson's might be fun, if you have the time, AND that might allow you to pick out the trees personally. BUT, I'd bet that the gas would far exceed the small amount of money for postage needed to ship a number of optimally-sized fruit trees!

One advantage of visiting Ison's, personally, might be that you could avoid many of the problems I see commonly reported from their mail order business.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I have shopped with Ison's and get their emails. They have what I want and I have gotten good service from them so I guess I will see about ordering. I also like to go for drives and will visit the other nurseries.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Autumn Hill nursery also carries fruit, I think they normally have a lot of apples.

• pokeberry
    12 years ago

If you truly looking for great apple trees try lawson nursery in Ball Ground Georgia. He has one of the largest collection of heirloom antique apples and he has new hybrids that are also available. Mr lawson is truly a legend with apples growers and is know nation wide for his grafting skills.. also if you have limted space buy a trees with multi grafts to be sure to have a tree that will pollinate it self.. Lawson's Nursery 2730 Yellow Creek Rd
    Ball Ground, GA
    30107-3142
    770-893-2141

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear frankielynn 7b,
    Spring is here in the Southeast. Do yourself a favor, and wait till next fall/winter to plant your apple trees. By planting them while they are dormant, you will have a much higher success rate. If you plant them now, you will have to water them during dry spells this summer.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I think planting them now would be just fine. As early as it is, I'd predict very little difference between results from planting now and results from planting during fall/winter. Some root growth will occur during dormancy (at least for most species and including apples), but it is relatively little. Waiting until summer would definitely not be a good idea, but now should be nearly ideal, IMO.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about watering but I water everything with my 'black pot/garbage bag' system. I take a big black plastic planting pot and put a cheap kitchen plastic bag in it and set it beside who ever needs watering, fill with water and poke a tiny hole in the plastic bag at one of the drainage holes and it slowly puts a gallon of water on my plant. It is not beautiful because I have black pots sitting all over but when it is very dry it keeps everything watered with out too much waste.

Sponsored