Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom74

Spring bloom

gmom74
13 years ago

Did anyone else in the Atlanta, Ga. area notice their spring bulbs didn't bloom much? I am so disappointed this year with the sparse daffodil blooms. I guess it has something to do with the droughts of the past years although last year they were beautiful. There is no way we could give the bulbs enough water so I had to just rely on hope. There was beautiful foliage but few blooms.

Comments (10)

• bmmalone
    13 years ago

My daffodils have been blooming for almost two weeks and and are still going strong.

• frankielynnsie
    13 years ago

Mine are blooming and I have so many different types that they are continuing. I did notice that I did not have as large a number of blooms on my clumps of King Alfreds. The Minnows have been blooming their heads off-I need to thin them out this year. Some of the others had leaves only. They bloomed big last year so I thought they were taking a break this year.

• buford
    13 years ago

You may want to check if your bulbs were eaten by squirrels.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I didn't think squirrels ate daffodils.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have some daffs that don't bloom too much. I need to divide them and then give 'em a good planting with some bone meal. Some of mine could care less, clump and bloom their heads off but the old fashioned ones seem to multiply like rabbits for me but need more frequent dividing.
    I looked this weekend, there are still tons of daffs blooming in the neighborhood - there are so many different types that you can get a longer season of bloom with some variety. Have you planted all different kinds?

• gmom74
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GGG, I don't know all the varieties we have. There is an unnamed variety that blooms very early- mid February usually. This year there were just a few blooms on them I have them in various places in the yard. One called Ice Follies is usually prolific but not this year. Others just hardly had any blooms at all. Maybe next year... Buford, There's lots of foliage - I don't think anything has eaten the bulbs. Maybe fertilizer is needed. It won't hurt to try and see if it makes a difference next year. If everyone is like me, I look forward to seeing the first blooms of the daffodils early in the year. It always means spring is on the way.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Gmom, Ice Follies is usually the one I never fertilize. You might try a little bone meal late in the year. I just dig it in a bit to keep pets from sniffing it out (other people's pets, not mine! :) It can be inviting for some creatures.

• caeebe
    13 years ago

The daffs I planted in '08 haven't bloomed yet but last year they didn't bloom until mid April (while I was out of town for 3 weeks and I came back and they were done). I'm still hoping they'll bloom soon as my other daffodils bloomed so early. Next year I'm going to buy another type to plant as these are not that excited about blooming for me.

• tifbee
    13 years ago

I still have some that are getting ready to bloom. I think the early spring weather, then a round cold weather has all the plants a little confused. A few weeks of 50+ night and day temperatures will bring the daffodils out to bloom.

• caeebe
    13 years ago

I just found the bag left over from planting my bulbs in '08. They are Golden Ducat if you want to avoid them. I got them from Costco and gave them out at my wedding so they are special to me. I just wish I could see them bloom darn it. The bag says they should bloom early spring.

Sponsored