Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trivedi_south

Best books on southern gardening

trivedi_south
14 years ago

I wanted to find out what are southern favorite books on gardening in South.

Comments (9)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Gardening 'Round Atlanta (for Atlantans), Southern Gardeners book of lists, anything by Allen Armitage - he writes general books but always says how things do in Athens for him. All books by Elizabeth Lawrence, Southern Herb Gardening by Madeline Hill.

And many, many more!

• jvan
    14 years ago

I have Tough Plants for Southern Gardens by Felder Rushing. Has been my favorite, pictures and these are proven plants.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

The Southern Gardener's Book of Lists

Month by Month Gardening in the South: What to do and When to do It. (by Hastings?)

I'm down in the basement and not near my books -- but I think a title search will find these for you! As a transplant, the Month by Month book has been fantastic!

• jay_7bsc
    14 years ago

_The Southern Living Garden Book_

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all very much!!

I will order these titles at my local library. All their gardening books are loaned out as Spring is here (or almost).

Thanks Again.
    Happy Gardening!

• fluffyflowers
    14 years ago

I really like Passalong Plants by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. It's informative and funny :)

• riceke
    13 years ago

One of the best and most practical book on gardening in the South that I have read is:

"Gardening in the Humid South (Paperback)
    ~ Edmund N., Jr. O'Rourke (Author), Leon C. Standifer
    Two self-proclaimed "crotchety old horticulture professors," Ed OÂRourke and Leon Standifer share an immense love of gardening, a vast knowledge of all things horticultural, and a hearty sense of humor. In Gardening in the Humid South, they combine all these traits to provide a practical and entertaining guide to gardening in the region they know best, the humid subtropics of the lower South."

Can be found on Amazon. It is the first book that I have read that really acknowledges the differences between most garden books written by authors outside of the South and what it's really like here.

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you FF and Riceke.

I got the "gardening in humid south" from local lib few days ago. It has some good tips.
    I also got gardening month by month and its a good read too.

Appreciate everyone's input :)
    T.S.

• jeff_al
    13 years ago

a new one that was brought to my attention is:
    best native plants for southern gardens -
    a handbook for gardeners, homeowners, and professionals
    by gil nelson
    it will be available july, 2010 from the university press of florida.
    their phone number is 800-226-3822 and the website is
    www.upf.com.
    this publication won't be listed on the website until publication date but there is a 25% prepublication discount price through july 31.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner