Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best books on southern gardening

Posted by trivedi_south (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 20:14

I wanted to find out what are southern favorite books on gardening in South.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best books on southern gardening

Gardening 'Round Atlanta (for Atlantans), Southern Gardeners book of lists, anything by Allen Armitage - he writes general books but always says how things do in Athens for him. All books by Elizabeth Lawrence, Southern Herb Gardening by Madeline Hill.

And many, many more!

o

I have Tough Plants for Southern Gardens by Felder Rushing. Has been my favorite, pictures and these are proven plants.

o

The Southern Gardener's Book of Lists

Month by Month Gardening in the South: What to do and When to do It. (by Hastings?)

I'm down in the basement and not near my books -- but I think a title search will find these for you! As a transplant, the Month by Month book has been fantastic!

o

_The Southern Living Garden Book_

o

Thank you all very much!!

I will order these titles at my local library. All their gardening books are loaned out as Spring is here (or almost).

Thanks Again.
Happy Gardening!

o

I really like Passalong Plants by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. It's informative and funny :)

o

• Posted by riceke Z8GASnellville (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 9:21

One of the best and most practical book on gardening in the South that I have read is:

"Gardening in the Humid South (Paperback)
~ Edmund N., Jr. O'Rourke (Author), Leon C. Standifer
Two self-proclaimed "crotchety old horticulture professors," Ed ORourke and Leon Standifer share an immense love of gardening, a vast knowledge of all things horticultural, and a hearty sense of humor. In Gardening in the Humid South, they combine all these traits to provide a practical and entertaining guide to gardening in the region they know best, the humid subtropics of the lower South."

Can be found on Amazon. It is the first book that I have read that really acknowledges the differences between most garden books written by authors outside of the South and what it's really like here.

o

Thank you FF and Riceke.

I got the "gardening in humid south" from local lib few days ago. It has some good tips.
I also got gardening month by month and its a good read too.

Appreciate everyone's input :)
T.S.

o

a new one that was brought to my attention is:
best native plants for southern gardens -
a handbook for gardeners, homeowners, and professionals
by gil nelson
it will be available july, 2010 from the university press of florida.
their phone number is 800-226-3822 and the website is
www.upf.com.
this publication won't be listed on the website until publication date but there is a 25% prepublication discount price through july 31.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here